Medicine Part 1

[The girl was about seventeen years old. Her bloodless face rested on thepillow, and her long hair spread over the blanket. "Dad!" said she ina dim voice, yet without opening her eyes.]

Yue Buqun lay in the cabin

Yue Buqun lay in the cabin. Sound of the river waves beating the shore echoed in his ears as his many thoughts also whirled around in his head. Slowly, he fell into a state of ooziness when suddenly something caught his attention – the sounds of footsteps coming closer and closer from ashore. Sitting up from his bed, he looked out through a crack of the window. Under the misty moonlight he could vaguely see two shadows running towards the boat from afar. One of them raised his right hand, and at that signal, both of them stopped, still dozens of feet away from the boat. Knowing that the two of them would undoubtedly be talking in whispers, Yue Buqun started loading his "Divine Art of the Violet Twilight", and instantly his sense of vision and hearing sharpened dramatically and the distance he could see and hear increased considerably.

"That's the boat," one of the men whispered. "I made a mark on the mat of the boat earlier. Right after that old fellow from the Huashan School hired the boat. It's gotten to be it."

"That's great! Let's report back to Uncle-Master Zhu then. Senior apprentice brother, when did our 'Hundred-Toxic Faction' start a feud with the Huashan School? Why is Uncle-Master Zhu going through so much trouble to intercept them in such a big way?" the other one asked in whispers.

As soon as Yue Buqun heard the words "Hundred-Toxic Faction," his heart skipped a beat as a slight chill shot down his spine. Because of the slight distraction, the power of the "Divine Art of the Violet Twilight" decreased, and all he could pick out were pieces of words from the conversation.

"...not intercepting...Uncle Master Zu owed someone a favor, and that someone has asked him to inquire about somebody...it wasn't..." the previous one replied.

The man spoke in such a low voice that Yue Buqun could only hear fractions of the sentence and couldn't put the meaning of the words together. By the time he reloaded his "Divine Art of the Violet Twilight," all he heard were sounds of footsteps descending further and further. The two men had faded into the darkness.

"How did our Huashan School start a feud with the 'Hundred-Toxic Faction'?" Yue Buqun thought aloud. "That Uncle-Master Zhu they mentioned most probably is the Head Master of the 'Hundred-Toxic Faction.' This man has a nickname called 'Non-lethal Man.' It is said that this man possesses outstanding skills in the art of poisoning. To kill someone with poison is simple. Anybody can achieve that easily. But when this man poisons someone, the victim won't die, instead, he will feel such great torment as if he has been cut thousands of times or as if there are tens of thousands of bugs chewing and feasting on his flesh. The misery is going to be so immense that the victim would have been better off dead, yet he won't even have enough strength left to commit suicide and would have no other choice but to suffer more. Together with the 'Five-Sylph Sect' in Yunnan Province, the 'Hundred-Toxic Faction' has been named the Ultimate Two Poisonous Clans in the Martial World. Although it is said that the 'Hundred-Toxic Faction' is still inferior to the 'Five-Sylph Sect,' it is certainly no trivial matter. Why would this Master Zhu give me trouble in a big way? Who has asked him to do it?"