Burn Baby, Burn

Allison

Since we had less than a month until the wedding I had to find a dress quickly. I didn't want anything big or extravagant, there's not enough room on the roof for that anyway. But I want something that is simple and beautiful, just like our relationship.

So I grab Abby and Dayna and we hit the town to look for dresses. Most of the time it was us messing around with the babies since we had to bring them along while the boys were out practicing. So we look at dresses and look at the kiddos trying to stay on task which was so hard.

Soon enough we get into a more high end dress shop just because we can. A lot of these dresses were the ball gown and Cinderella types and I really didn't want to go down that road again. But I still like to look because the dresses still were pretty despite my feelings towards them. I come up to this one dress and I get frozen. It was up in the middle of the store on full display and I get chills.

"Is that something like the type of dress you wore when you were supposed to to marry Mathew" Abby asks as she stands next to me.

"That is the dress" I whisper.

"Well that's shouldn't be too scary. I'm sure there had to be a few of that dress" she assures me.

"There wasn't. Mine was specially made for me from Mathew. He had it designed himself with some of the best dress makers in the world. It was everything he wanted and more. I promise you... that's my dress" I say.

"How did it get here" she wonders.

"I don't know, I left it in a Macy's bathroom. But look at the waistline, that's Mathews business trademark in rhinestones" I say and she inches closer. She gasps once she sees his families business crest on there before stepping back.

"Holy shit, I can't believe this place is trying to resell your dress" she claims.

"It's worth a lot of money, I'm just surprised they fixed it up" I insist.

"What happened to it" she wonders.

"I literally ran into Jonny as he was coming out of a store downtown. I fell and scraped my knee and messed the dress up a little. But it looks as good as new now" I shake my head. I never thought I would see this thing again, yet here we are.

"I'm sorry to tell you this... but that is probably the most beautiful wedding dress I've ever seen" Abby claims and I laugh.

"I hate to say that I have to agree. It was super pretty, but I felt so ugly in it. No amount of white lace and sparkles can cover up the pain and nastiness that went on in that relationship" I insist.

"Yeah, that dress doesn't fit you. I see you in a dress that you can dance and move around in" she says.

"See... this is why we're friends" I tease and she laughs.

"Come on, lets get you a dress. Your dress" she says as she pushes me away from my old dress. I start to push the stroller but I take one last look at the dress. I never thought I would see that thing again and it kind of messed with my head. But that's a part of my past now and I have to focus on my future wedding.

We find Dayna who had a bunch of dresses hooked up to her stroller and I laugh. That's not what a stroller is for but it sure is helpful. So she hands me the dresses and I put her and Abby on baby duty. I slip into a changing booth and try on a bunch of them. And while they were all pretty there was one that was perfect.

I stand in the mirror and smile at the reflection. This is more like it.