A Family Affair

Allison

I stand at the glass sliding doors at the back of the cabin as I watch the snow fall to the already white covered ground. I'm from the Midwest, I'm no stranger to the snow, but this is snow in Canada. The flakes are a bit bigger and it comes a lot more constantly around these parts. That's why I have a mug of hot chocolate in my hands, to keep me and my little baby warm on the inside while it comes down out there.

I suddenly hear a knock on the door and I perk up. I set my drink on the counter in the kitchen and run over to get the door. I open it up and see Jonathan's parents and brother standing there and the smile on my face was permanent. Andree doesn't wait a second before she pulls me into a big hug and I wrap my arms around her. She was everything I wished my own mother was, she was caring and thoughtful and no matter what her kids did she supported them. She was right there beside them cheering them on just like a good mother should. Just like I will be.

"It's so great to see you again" she claims. My sweatshirt covered the baby bump so she couldn't notice before we tell her but if you got too close you can feel it so I make sure she doesn't meet my bump.

"It's good to see you too. You look so beautiful" I admit as I admire her pretty sweater and her surprisingly good makeup.

"I'm just trying to keep up with you" she claims and I start to blush.

"Here, I can take your guys' coats" I insist as they hand them to me.

"I can't believe Jon is making you host. Isn't this supposed to be my brothers job" his brother David asks and I laugh. Any chance he has to jab at his brother he does, and it doesn't happen that often.

"He's trying to contain Missy in our room right now so she doesn't eat all the food or destroy the presents" I explain.

"My god, how big has she gotten" David asks as little scared to know.

"Let's just say Jonathan has tried to ride her multiple times" I admit and he laughs.

"Sounds like my brother" he admits.

After I put up everyone's jacket on the back of the door they walk into the living room and look around. It kinda looked like a hallmark card in here and I realize that Jon and I might have gone a tad bit overboard with decorating. But I missed this so much, I missed looking around and knowing that there was no way I could feel bad right now. I miss being able to create something that I can show off to people and be proud of.

"Wow... I've never seen this place look this nice" Jon's Dad Bryan admits as he looks around.

"We were pretty excited about the holidays" I admit.

"Alright I'm here. I hope you didn't miss me too much" Jonathan says as he comes downstairs.

"I'm just here for food" David claims.

"I'm here for Allison" his mom adds on and Jon starts to pout.

"I still love you" I assure him and he smiles. He walks over and pulls me into a tight hug.

"Awww you guys are so cute" Andree coos.

"Well, since everyone's in a good mood, I think we should open presents first" Jonathan claims and I roll my eyes. He just wants his family to know we're pregnant so he can brag about it the whole day and he can talk about it with someone who isn't me who already knows.

"Alright, then let's get them handed out" I agree.

"Okay. But everyone has to open the gifts from Allison and I first" he says as he holds my hand.

"Why" David wonders.

"Because I said so" Jonny says.

"Because I said so" David mimicks and I try my hardest not to laugh.

After a brief altercation broken up by Bryan, Jonathan's family sits on the couch and Jonathan and I hand out the presents. It was kind of important they got to the right person so there isn't any confusion.

"Open them at the same time" Jonny insists and I smile. He was so freaking excited it was so adorable.

His family tears into the presents and get down to the boxes that contained the gifts. They open it up and take the top off of the box.

Inside the box was baby bottle and a bottle of merlot because I thought it was funny. Next to that was a little Blackhawks bear that said "Grandma" or "Grandpa" or "uncle" on it. Then I made these cute little boards all decorated with baby stuff that said "the rest of your Christmas present is coming in July 2013."

"No" Andree gasps as she puts it all together. "No way" she says a bit louder as she sets the things back in the box.

"Wait a second... are you guys pregnant" Bryan finally asks.

"We are" I smile. I lift up my oversized sweater to show them the little baby bump I had and Andree jumps up off the couch. Her gift gets sent flying as she runs over to where I was standing and places her hand on my stomach.

"Oh my god... you're so pregnant" she realizes.

"I'm ten weeks along. Me and the baby are both happy and although I'm not ready, I couldn't be more excited" I admit.

"Holy hell, I'm going to be a grandma" she sniffles as she catches tons of the happy tears that had fallen on her face.

"Mom" Jonathan gasps and I giggle.

"I'm sorry. I'm just really happy" she smiles.

"You're gonna help us, right" I ask and she laughs.

"Oh sweetie, you're going to be begging me to get out of your hair" she claims.

"I don't think I will" I insist.

"I will" Jon admits and I just shake my head.

"Well I hope to be half the mother you are, I would love to learn from the best" I say and she smiles so brightly at me.

"Can I give you a hug" she asks and I laugh.

"Bring it in" I insist.

"This is the best Christmas ever" she claims as I pull her into my embrace.

"So you're all happy" I ask.

"Estatic" Bryan claims.

"You're going to be a Grandpa" Jon says as he throws his arm around his dad.

"You're going to be a dad" his dad counters.

"Holy shit... you're gonna be a dad" David realizes.

"Don't worry. I've already read three parenting books, I've watched videos of how to be a good partner and learned what to do to help out as much as I can. I'm going to be the best father I can be" he defends.

"I know you will sweetie" his mom says as she pinches his cheeks.

"Well I for one think its time for our first family picture" Jonny claims as he swats his moms hands away.

"I like that idea" I admit.

Jonathan sets up a camera and we all gather around the fireplace. I go up and get Missy because the food was put away now and she was a part of the family too. So she joins the picture and we start off the first holiday together amazingly.