The Story of Us

Jonathan

We were cruising past the Wild in the first round of the playoffs and that was very good news for us. The last two seasons we were knocked out in the first round of the playoffs and we were just happy to be doing this good so far. It makes sense with how dominant we were in the regular season that means it was a home game tonight so I could stay home for my pre game nap. So I sit in bed with my book as I read a little before I try to go to sleep. Eventually I push my book to the side and lay down. I close my eyes but I couldn't fall asleep. I lay there for a while trying to silence my brain but it doesn't work out that way.

Eventually I hear Allison come into the room and I open my eyes to see her standing at the end of the bed as she tries to quietly get into the closet. I watch her as she rests her hand on her stomach like she does when she's thinking.

"Oh darn, I was trying not to wake you" she insists when her eyes finally meet mine.

"I wasn't asleep" I assure her.

"Why not" she wonders.

"I usually can't sleep on days of games like this" I admit.

"Why don't you listen to music to help relax you a little" she wonders.

"I tried but it didn't work" I sigh.

"How about we make some music then" she says as she picks something up. I see the blue guitar she got me for my birthday all those years ago and I smile. She places it on my lap before crawling into bed with me. Missy jumps up and curls up at the end of the bed as we all sit in our room. We had the whole house to ourselves but we all decided to be here together.

I softly strum the guitar to the tune of the only song I knew how to play. I look over and see that Allie was smiling so big as she hummed along. It was times like this I was so happy to be alive.

"Can I ask you something" I wonder.

"Anything" she assures me.

"How come you like this song so much" I ask.

"Because the lyrics actually mean something, and they mean everything to me. When it says "When I look into your eyes — It's like watching the night sky — Or a beautiful sunrise —Well, there's so much they hold" I totally get it. Because your eyes are so deep and they hold so many treasures that you can only see wen you look at them the way I do. And every time you look at me your eyes change, you look at me differently than you look at someone else. Then when it says "And just like them old stars — I see that you've come so far — To be right where you are — How old is your soul?" I think about how our paths crossed. I think about what all had to happen in order for you and I to be together in any given moment. We always knew that we would fall in love and we shouldn't have been together, but we always were. We had both been hurting in different ways but we also both held the cure for each other.

The song talks about never giving up on each other, and that's all I wanted to hear from you. Even though I was never going to be called yours you still wouldn't give up on us. No matter what my mouth said you knew we belonged together. You loved me no matter what they said and that's so special.

Then the song says "And when you're needing your space — To do some navigating — I'll be here patiently waiting — To see what you find." And so you waited for me, you let me go knowing that if it was truly meant to be I would find my way back to you, and I did. And you were ready for me, said all the right things and listened to my plead to be loved. To be held without the intention of hurting, to be talked to without the intention to deceive. You let me free then you welcomed me back with open arms. That meant the world to me coming from what I came from.

In a way this song is a story of us. About how we can find the right person at the wrong time. But in the end the love is strong enough to over come everything. It's something you fight for, something you never give up on" she explains.

"I know you're not into the big wedding plans, but I do want to marry you some day. And when that day comes, I want this to be the song we do our first dance to. I want this song to be played so many times that no one will be able to forget it" I admit.

"I would like that" she smiles and I smile back. I know she isn't big on the idea of her getting married. She's just 23 after all and she's about to have two kids, no need to talk about marriage right now. But eventually I do want her to be my wife, to be with me for the rest of my life. And I know we'll get there, just not yet.

I set my guitar to the side and lay down in bed. I pull Allie into my chest and just stare into her beautiful eyes. She softly cups my cheek and I couldn't help but smile.

"Take a nap" she insists.

"I can't because when you touch me it makes me all excited" I say and she laughs. She gives me a passionate kiss before cupping my chin. She eventually lets me go and turns around before backing into me. I wrap my arm around her and softly close my eyes. Not too much later I finally fall asleep.