The Bigger They Are The Harder They Fall

Allison

It's been a while since I've been out. Being six months pregnant seems too soon for bed rest but the kiddos sure aren't making it easy to be on the go. So we've been having a lot of people over instead, usually just Jon's parents or Brent and Dayna or Sharpy and Abby. Like I said our friend group isn't exactly the biggest but with Jonathan being the captain there always seems to be some type of hockey person over. And I don't mind, I hate being by myself and everyone in the organization is in love with Jonathan and is super nice, so I never mind the company. I like to show off our house and talk about babies while making some relationships grow stronger.

So when I hear a knock on the door this early April morning I couldn't wait to answer it. I wonder who could be gracing us with their presence today? I see Jonny go to open the door but I hop in front of him and grab the door handle right from under him.

"You're lucky you're cute" he teases as I smile big.

I open the door but my face falls as soon as I do. I don't see one of our friends, not even someone I know. Instead I see two police officers standing in the doorway and my heart drops.

"How may we help you" I say softly.

"Are you Allison Comet" the taller officer asks and I slowly nod.

"That's me" I assure him.

"We would like to ask you some questions about Mathew Conner" he explains and I can feel my heart banging against my chest. If I didn't have high blood pressure before I surely did now.

"Is he okay" I ask.

"He's perfectly healthy. We just got a few tips about some stuff from people and we saw that you were his partner from 2008 to 2012 and we were wondering if we could ask you some questions" he claims.

"Um... sure. Come on in" I offer. They come in and I close the door behind them. I feel Jonny slip his hand in mine and give it a squeeze and I have to admit it did help a lot. But I still didn't like where this was going.

"Can I get you anything to drink" Jonny offers as they turn to us.

"No thank you" the taller one says.

"I'm good" the other officer insists.

"So what questions do you have" I wonder.

"Well there's some easy ones and some hard ones, but we're going to do the easy one first" the tall man says and I nod. "Do you know what Mathew did for a living" he questions.

"He was a broker for his families company" I say.

"Yes, but do you know the details of what he did or who he did business with" he questions.

"He never told me. Always said it was private business and I wouldn't understand it anyway" I explain.

"Does the name Martin Taylor ring a bell" he wonders.

"No" I admit.

"Well apparently Mathew was operating a illegal trading underground which is where he got a lot of his money from. A kid named Martin Taylor was shot and killed the other day trying to make a deal and they traced that incident and a few more all back to Mathew" he explains and I gasp. I was always afraid of that, I knew he was a underhanded man but to get a kid killed. That's just terrible.

"I'm so sorry to hear that" I whisper. I was honestly just shocked that it went that far.

"We are too mam" he agrees.

"Is there anything I can do to help you figure this all out" I wonder. He wasn't my problem anymore but I wanted to be a part of the solution after standing by all those years.

"There's one more thing that makes this case a little more complicated" he says and I swallow hard.

"And what's that" I wonder.

"His current girlfriend wants to testify against him. She's accused him of being abusive and negligent which will put him behind bars for a little while longer so he can do no further harm. Although that is separate from the possible murder trial that awaits him it still can help get him behind bars for good. We watched your video you made when he wanted to search for you after breaking off your engagement and you hinted at the same type of behavior. We wanted to know if we can use that video for evidence and if you hand any more like it that can help us" they say.

"I have no problem with you using my video. And what other evidence are you looking for" I wonder.

"Anything. If you have pictures of damage he's caused or videos of him being irrational. Scars or doctors records or anything like that that we can prove that it was him" he explains.

I sit there and think about the video I took on Jonathan's phone back when we confronted him. I know that video of him confessing would get him locked away for a long time. I wouldn't even have to testify because it's a video of him straight up confessing and there's no denying it. But it's also of Jonathan pinning him against the wall and I didn't want him to get in trouble. I didn't want him to have to go to court to testify or get involved in that mans sick and twisted games.

"I don't-" I start.

"We have a video" Jonny interrupts. "We have a video of him confessing everything about the way he treated Allison" he finishes. I look at him trying to figure out why in the world he just said that. He could get in some serious trouble for putting his hands on him the way he does.

"Can we see the video" the short officer finally speaks up and Jonathan nods. He pulls his phone out and pulls up the video. He shows it to them and I cringe when I hear his voice. I wanted to cry as I had to listen to what he said, it made me sick.

Finally the video ends and I let go of my death grip on Jon's hand.

"This will do it. Can we have the video" the officer asks.

"Of course" Jonathan promises.

"Thank you so much for your cooperation, hopefully we can keep him away from anyone for a long time" the tall one says.

"You're welcome" I say softly.

After we get the video to them they explain that we would be anonymous witnesses and they wouldn't use our names. They will blur out Jonathan's face and make sure we're protected. After a while they leave and I shut the door behind him.

"Why on earth did you show them that video" I ask. "You could have gotten in serious trouble" I insist.

"I don't care what happens to me if I can get rid of that ass hole. He deserves to rot in jail for what he's done and I'm going to do whatever I can to make sure he stays there for a while. Even if that means I get in trouble" he claims.

"He's not worth the trouble" I insist.

"No he's not. But you are. And I know this would mean a lot to you, for you to have justification. For him to hurt after he hurt you. I know you're too nice to admit it but you want him gone. You want him away so he can't hurt anyone like he's hurt you and that poor kid who got caught up in his mess. You wanted him gone just as bad as I did" he insists.

"He's not going to go down without a fight" I promise.

"Maybe so. But the bigger they are the harder they fall"