Second First Date

Jonathan

As the summer starts to come to a close I knew I was running out of time to propose the way I wanted to. And it's not like I didn't want to, I was just really nervous. I don't think she would say no, I know she wants to get married eventually and she wanted to be with me. But I also know that his was a hard topic for her and she doesn't want to feel trapped by a ring again.

But I hoped that she would want to be with me forever. For that promise ring to be a wedding ring and have a whole another meaning to our relationship. I know we didn't have to get married, a lot of people don't and it's probably cheaper that way. Plus most people who get married don't enjoy being married but we're not like most people. Our relationship was unique and real and deep. It felt right calling her my wife.

So we send away the kiddos for a night as they chill at their grandparents house watching tv with Grandpa and letting Grandma dress them in whatever her heart desired as we do our second first date.

I stood in the kitchen trying to make sure I could remember how to do this. I had on the nicest suit I could find and a apron on top so I don't get it dirty. I make sure the steaks don't burn and the potatoes are cooked so I don't make her eat a half baked potato. When then food was done I set up the table out back up and put some flowers and candles on it along with the food. The ring was in the flowers so I can grab it but she can't see it unless she goes digging through the flowers. I hook the lights up so the deck was bright and illuminated. Everything looked just like our first date out here and that made me feel just the slightest bit better about this situation.

"It looks great" Allison says as she opens the door and I smile big. I turn around to embrace her but I nearly get swept off my feet.

"Holy shi

"Holy shi... Allie. You look, you look amazing" I stutter and she smiles. She moves a blonde curl behind her ear and as she looks down at her feet.

"Thanks. Your mom bought me this dress when we were out shopping the other day. I didn't know about it but I kinda like it" she admits.

"You look stunning" I say softly with the cheesiest smile on my face. She walks over to me and I grab her hands and hold them out in front of me so I could really see her. I see the promise ring on her finger and swallow hard. Like this wasn't hard enough... now she looks like a damn goddess and I can't feel my toes.

"Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost" she claims and I shake my head.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just remembered how lucky I am to have you" I claim and she starts to blush.

"Oh" she whispers and I smile. I love that I can still make her feel like that.

We sit down at the table and I pour us both a glass of wine. We dig in to the food and just talk about life. It was never awkward with her and I never ran out of anything to say. She had always been so intriguing to me, like a mystery I was meant to solve. But at the same time. I understand her better than anyone. Hell, I understand her better than I understand hockey. It's like we were meant to be together. Like she was meant for me.

"So when are we going back to Chicago" she wonders after we finish our food. We were up here for the day with the cup but that was nearly two weeks ago, so I guess you can say we overstayer our welcome. But I wasn't ready to go home until I did what I needed to.

"As soon as I stop being a whimp" I admit and she giggles.

"What do you mean" she questions.

"I mean... that we weren't going to leave until I did this" I say motioning to the table.

"Good on a date" she asks.

"Yes, but this is more than just our second first date" I insist.

"How so" she wonders.

"Because" I reply as I grab the ring box. "This is when I wanted to propose to you. Under these stars seeing you in that dress in the exact location we had our first date. The start of our journey through life together as a couple.

And now I want to make our forever a little more permanent" I say. I see her lips pull into a smile as her eyes get glassy. She starts to sniffle and I smile at her. "Are you going to cry" I ask and she laughs.

"Most definitely" she nods.

"Is it okay if I propose to you while you do it" I ask.

"Please" she begs and I suddenly was feeling a whole lot better.

I slide out of my seat and kneel down on the ground next to her. I look up into her glass eyes as she stares right through to me, I can see in her eyes that she's trying her best to remember this moment forever.

"I was 21 when I met you. I had no idea what love is, what it meant to me. I've never been in a real relationship before and lucky me... I fell in love with someone who was in a different relationship. I should have known something messed up like that would happen. It's never easy to fall in love.

But you showed me that it wasn't as hard as I was making it either. I've never seen someone be so liked by my friends, I've never seen anyone so outgoing and optimistic. You were like a role model for me, I was obsessed to be around you, learning from you and watching your smile.

Then one day you'd told me we couldn't do it anymore, whatever you wanted to call what we were doing. I know you were right for ending that, at the rate we were going we would have ran away together leaving everything behind. You didn't want me to be hurt by constantly being around someone I could never have, but being by myself was just as bad. I had no idea what you were going through, if I would have known I definitely wouldn't have let you go. But you were never mine to start with.

But I said that if you ever were mine I would never let you go and that's what I want to do. I want to keep you by my side forever. So Allison... will you marry me" I ask.

"Yes" she replies barley above a whisper and I smile big. My shakey hands take the ring out of its box and place it next to her promise ring. They looked really good together and I'm really happy this was done with.

I pick up my still shaking hand and wipe a tear off of her face. She laughs at herself as he looks at the new ring that sat on her finger.

"Are you happy" I ask her and she nods.

"I'm happy. I feel free" she admits and I smile back.

That's all I ever wanted.