Cold Feet

Jonathan

Once it starts to get later into September the on-ice practices start to kick up. It wasn't constructed but we all come in and try to remember how to do things. There's the Blackhawks convention this weekend then training camp then after that things happen very quickly. But in the mean time I wanted to enjoy what was left of my freedom before I'm shipped around the country to chase after a little black puck on slippery ice on top of two thin blades.

"Have you thought about our wedding" I ask Allison as we change diapers in the nursery. We didn't always do things at the same time but with two kids it's most defiantly easier that way.

"Kind of. But I don't really know what to think about" she claims.

"Well let's start with a date" I say.

"I don't know. It's hard with this season just now starting up then during the summer I'm sure we're going to want to travel or go to the cabin or something else. There's not really a good time to have a wedding" she claims.

"What about next month" I ask.

"Like October" she questions.

"Yeah. It's a little wedding. No big show or fancy venue. Just close friends and family, no one else. It'll be small, like 25 people at the most, and we can find a place in Chicago. Not a big church or fancy reception hall filled with chandeliers. Maybe rooftop someplace where we can see the leaves changing as they blow into the city. Somewhere where we can see this life we built around us" I say.

"Can we make a wedding like that happen in a month" she wonders.

"I think so. We just have to rent a place to have it and find someone to legally wed us. You find a dress you like and I'll wear a tux and our friends can wear whatever they would like" I say.

"Who all will know about this" she asks.

"Just the people we want to know. We'll probably have a photographer so we can have a wedding album but it's not going to be some spectacle. Just you and me and the rest of our forever. I promise" I say and she smiles.

"Okay. So by the end of next month I'll be Mrs. Allison Toews" she says and I get chills.

"I think that is my new favorite sentence" I admit and she giggles.

"I think I'll have to agree" she claims.

After getting the babies changed it was play time. So we set them in a crib together where they play with toys. They couldn't grab things just quite yet but we put some dangly toys above them to swat at.

Once they were satisfied Allison and I go to our room to look up for a nice place that was open for us to get married at in a short amount of time. After a few phone calls and a couple of strings pulled thanks to who I was we find a place that would work for the third weekend in October. We got it at a time when the sun was setting and it even came with its own person to wed us. We pick out a package that had chairs set up and a nice alter ready for us. It was a intimate little place and I think it would be perfect to us.

"Well I guess our next step would be to invite the guests" I say

"I guess we should have asked who all could make it before we set all this up" she admits.

"Well all of our friends are on the same schedule so it's not like they have places to be. All I gotta do is get my parents and brother out here and tell the guys and I think our guest list as good as done" I explain.

"Awesome. And I think I'm going to let Abby and Dayna do the details since they're good at that stuff. So when it comes to the flowers and music and all that jazz like that they got it taken care of" she says.

"Wow. Who would have known planning a wedding was this easy" I ask.

"Trust me... it's not" she laughs.

"You're not going to get cold feet on me are you" I ask.

"I didn't have cold feet the first time. I had a epiphany of some sorts that came at a terrible time. I knew that if I was to continue with that wedding I was basically signing my own death certificate. I wasn't running away from commitment or a serious relationship, I was running away from him and my mom. I was running away from the pain and the heartache they both brought me.

And I ran into you and I haven't ran anywhere else since then. I'm here to stay, and even though this wedding might not be some huge display of our affection, I think it's a perfect example of me and you. I cannot wait to be at that alter holding your hands and pinching myself that in a few short moments you're going to be my husband. I know for a fact that our wedding isn't some publicity stunt or anything other that fact that we love each other more than what should be humanly possible" she says.

"Man... I should have seen if they had anything available this month" I admit and she giggles.

"I picked that date for a reason" she claims.

"And why is that" I wonder.

"Because a year ago from that date we were on our first date" she tells me and I smile.

"How do you know that? We had no calendars in that cabin and you didn't have a phone" I insist.

"I looked on yours" she smirks and I shake my head. Of course she did.

"Well then I think this wedding just got that much better" I admit.

I pull her into a slow kiss that gets a little bit quicker. Not too soon after we start to kiss we started to undress as we toss our clothes to the side. I pin her under me as she makes sure her lips stay into contact with mine. She starts to bite my bottom lip and I could feel the nerves in my body start to tingle.

"You're on the pill right" I ask and she laughs.

"I am" she assures me.

"Good. Because I'm feeling pretty reenergized" I tell her and she smiles up at me.

"Stop telling me and show me" she demands and I smile back.

"Yes mam."