Love at First Sight

Allison

I walk into the doctors office and sit down in the examination chair. The nurse takes my blood pressure and listened to my heart and lungs just for precautionary measure. You can never be too sure when you're carrying two kids, it's easy for something to be off and you have no idea because you're not sure what normal is supposed to feel like anymore. But we get through the boring and kinda gross part of the checkup before finally getting to the good part where I get to see my babies.

Since I was having twins I go to these doctors appointments a lot. Like, all the time. The best way to fix a problem is to prevent it so I have to attend like a million doctors appointments to make sure everything is where it needs to be. luckily for me they are both doing good and are on track for the due date. The doctors explain what I should expect as I near the end of the second trimester. They say that this one is the hardest so I was excited to get to the "I just want to meet my babies" point of the pregnancy.

But until then I have to look at them through the sonograms. And I was going to be in the dog house with Jonathan for getting one without him here to look with me but he had a last minute practice scheduled at the same time as my appointment and I couldn't really move it so I had to come without him. But I got him a few pictures of our little ones before I was set free to make him happy.

I get home and I find Jonathan's car in the garage which is weird. His practices are never long but they're never this short either. So I head inside to give him the pictures and figure out our plans for the rest of the day. There was no game for once so maybe we could do something fun and not just stand around the baby room trying to plan for when the kids get here. I look around for him on the first floor but couldn't seem to find him anywhere.

"Jonny" I call out.

"Coming dear" he yells back and I just shake my head. Sometimes I feel like we're too comfortable with each other, but it's also one my favorite parts about us.

Eventually he comes down the stairs and runs his lips right into mine as I waited for him at the bottom. My eyes slam shut as I was caught off guard by his random display of affection, but easily accept the kiss and kindly return it.

"I missed you too" I tease as we break apart. "I thought you had practice this morning" I admit.

"I did, but it was just to work on the power play for the Toronto game. It was more of a meeting than a practice" he shrugs.

"Sweet. Then what's our plans for the rest of today" I wonder.

"How about we go on a picnic" he says and I smile.

"That sounds wonderful" I admit. I loved picnics.

"Awesome! You grab some food and I'll grab the dog" he insists.

"Perfect" I smile.

After we get everything we needed we head to the park. Jonathan puts a big blanket down and I lay upon it while Missy sits right next to me. Jon sets out the food and I grab a sandwich and some fresh vegetables. I rest my head in Jonny's lap as I happily eat my food. He plays with my hair and I was convinced that it really doesn't get better than this.

"Oh, I have baby pictures" I announce and I grab my purse. I pull out the pictures and hand them to Jonny who snatched them out of my hands.

"Oh wow, look at them" he gasps.

"They're there" I tease. Didn't really look like much but they were there.

"I cannot wait to to meet them. I already love them so much" he claims.

"Crazy how you can love something that doesn't even exist out in the real world yet" I admit.

"I think love is great like that, don't really need a rhyme or reason to love, we just do. Hell, I loved you from the first time I saw you" he claims and I laugh.

"You didn't" I accuse.

"I did. I remember sitting in that bar and I kept ordering drinks from you so you had to come back. Each time you did I could feel my heart beat harder and my hands get sweatier. I wanted so bad to ask for your number or say something that would make you like me but eventually I got too drunk to even remember your name. And so I got plastered then I couldn't shut up and I'm pretty sure I told you I loved you anyway" he remembers.

"You did" I assure him.

"Yeah, and I actually meant it" he says.

"There was no way that you could have loved me then" I accuse.

"But I did. Just like how I love our unborn children. I didn't know who you are but I can tell you didn't belong in that bar. You had a kind spirit that made me smile, just being next to you was the greatest feeling. I just knew that given the chance you could change the world. I loved simply being in your presence. Every time you would come over you would look into my eyes and I felt like I was going to be sick, you made me feel so weak. But you also made me feel invincible, like I could do no wrong. And everything else in that place was so blurry thanks to the alcohol except for you" he explains.

"Well if that isn't love then I don't know what is" I admit.

"That's what I'm saying" he claims.

"Who would have ever thought that night would have led to this" I say as I start to rub my belly.

"Me" he claims and I laugh.

"Bull shit" I accuse.

"Alright alright, maybe I couldn't have predicted everything that's happened since then. I could have never seen this coming. But I did see you here in my arms waiting to make a family" he claims.

"Well thanks for never giving up on me" I smile. He leans down and places a soft kiss on my forehead.

"Any time."