One of a Kind

Allison

As the temperatures cool down here in Canada Jonathan as I stay warm inside the cabin. There wasn't much to do right now for the Canadians already had their own Thanksgiving and all my American friends were back at home celebrating theirs. But I don't miss the holiday, everything I was thankful for was in his little cabin with me. Just my man and his freakishly big dog-bear that I was obsessed with.

And even though there's no hockey, Jonathan continues to train because that's just who he is. He had a room in the cabin full of training equipment and he had his own ice rink named after him. For anything to work out you have to put work in, so he does. While Patrick is playing over seas to stay in shape Jonny is doing his own thing, he always has.

And while Jonny stays in shape I finally start to get one. I was pretty underweight for a while. Being Mathews boyfriend I had to live up to a certain standard, and his were pretty high. He wanted me to look like a model, act like a princess, and treat him like a king. It was hard trying to be that person, and the worst part was eating that shit he called food. When we went out to eat with his colleagues he would order my food for me. Then he wouldn't let me eat it all and embarrass me in front of his friends with some shitty remark like "you really think you need all those calories?" Then he would by me clothes that were too small and told me I had to find a way to fit into them, that's how I got so small that I could fit in most anything. Then if he didn't like what I was wearing I had to change until he approved of it. It was honestly terrible, I hated it.

But now I see some muscle in my body, I was starting to get some meat on my bones and that made me very happy. Jonathan let me work out with him when he wasn't on the ice and always let me get ice cream when we are out. I get to order whatever it was I wanted and he even lets me take some food from his plate. I could even see some shape in my face now that I could live a healthy lifestyle. I loved when Jonathan would hold my face and I can feel him scrunch up my cheeks, it was adorable.

Eventually Jon comes home and we make some plans for the night. Mostly just play with missy and maybe find some movies to watch. Maybe I'll make him play me a song on his guitar he had here or make some plans for Christmas. Whatever it is our heart desires really.

"Who's ready for some Mario Kart" Jonny asks and I smile really big. Good choice.

"I am" I cheer as he tosses me a remote. He turns on the counsel and I smile big when I hear the theme music play. It's been too long.

He plops on the couch next to me while we choose our characters. I am forever princess peach and he always wanted to be Mario. We pick the hardest track because it was the only one both of us hasn't memorized yet and start to play on that one.

We play for two hours straight before taking a break. It would have been longer but Jon's phone kept going off and Patrick was trying to get ahold of him to ask when the lockout would be over like he does every day.

"Here. Patrick want to talk to you" he claims as he hands me the phone and I take it.

"What's up Pat" I wonder and he scoffs.

"What's up? You've been gone for over a year and all I get is a what's up" he asks.

"That's a lot better greeting than the one I gave Jonny, I literally ran into him" I defend.

"Don't try to be cute, I'm mad at you guys. How come you never told me you were in Canada with Jonny" he pouts.

"I thought he told you that I was with him. I don't even have a phone to tell you anyway" I inform him. That wasn't entirely true, I did have a phone but it was only for emergencies. And saying hi to Patrick wasn't a emergency, no matter what he thinks.

"Well I feel like this is information I need to know. Especially considering I thought you were missing not too long ago" he says.

"I'm not missing, I'm at the cabin with Jonny trying to let things smooth over and find some time to figure out what we're doing" I explain.

"Well I hope you're trying to figure out how to stick around until I get back because I missed you. Not half as much as Jonny did, but I still missed you too" he says.

"Aww, we'll have a big coming home party once the lockout is over and you're back" I promise.

"You mean if the lockout is over" he corrects.

"It has to end sometime, right" I ask. Now I'm a little concerned that hockey will be gone longer than I thought.

"I mean yeah, but the season would have been on its second month by now. We already missed so much of it" he explains.

"Well I think it'll come back soon. Then I can make some food and we can mess around just like the good old times" I assure him.

"You better" he threatens.

I hand the phone back to Jonny who says a few words before hanging up. He tosses his phone onto the couch before laying across my lap. His large frame goes end to end as his stomach sits in my lap. He lets out a loud groan and I start to massage his back.

"Is there really not going to be any hockey" I ask.

"I don't know. I don't want to say that there won't because I want there to be, but it's not like I'm getting the band back together right now" he admits.

"I think you'll have hockey again" I insist.

"And what makes you think that" he wonders.

"Because some things are meant to be. And because I really miss watching you play" I admit.

"You do" he questions.

"I do. Watching you was such a privilege. You're the only person I know who plays like you do. Even before we met I thought you were the best player in the world. Only one person demands so much respect on and off the ice and that's you. I never heard anyone ever say a single bad thing about you, everyone said you weren't just a captain, you were a leader and you led by example. Every time I sat in the crowd I would look around and see kids wearing your jersey and it made me smile because all those kids wanted was to be like you and that's so cool" I admit.

"I didn't know you liked watching me so much" he claims.

"I love watching you. You're great at hockey" I say.

"And you're great at back rubs... please don't stop" he moans and I laugh.

"Anything for you" I assure him.