36 | In Our Blood Pt. 3

Start from the beginning

      She timidly plays a few keys, toggling with the volume level before her hands finally settle into position.

      And then Min Yoongi is blown away.

      Of the two Min siblings, Yoongi was the first to learn piano. Their eomma insisted that he should learn an instrument for a plethora of reasons ("Yoongi, dear, playing an instrument relieves stress, makes you smarter, improves your social skills, boosts your confidence, teaches patience and makes you more creative. Why wouldn't it be a good idea?"), and Yoongi didn't hate the idea, so he did. He started when he was five, and he quickly picked up the basics. By the time he was eight he could sightread beautifully, and he had even written a few simple melodies of his own. Piano was the beginning of his love for music, and Yoongi will never regret all the work it took to get where he is today.

      But no matter how much work he put in, he simply wasn't as good as Byeol. She started at a much younger age, learning the names of the keys and practicing finger control since she was three. By the time she turned six she had already almost caught up to Yoongi, who had been studying piano for nearly six years by then. Every time she sat down at the keys she seems to get better, writing songs alongside Yoongi and singing his lyrics beautifully when he asked her to. 

      By the time Yoongi left home she was significantly better than him. She could sit down and read a complicated song almost perfectly on the first try, while Yoongi had to slowly work his way through the music in order for it to sound okay. Everything she played so played beautifully, and Yoongi thought that there was no way for her to get better. She was already as good as she could be.

      Boy, was I wrong.

      Her fingers dance across the keys like butterflies, soft and delicate. The notes ring out into the studio like a long lost memory; burning images of home-made cookies and snowmen and playing tag in the backyard into Yoongi's mind. She leans forward in her seat, following her hands as they leap across the keyboard in a mystifying pattern. She doesn't hesitate for a moment; the song is imprinted in her heart. 

      Yoongi closes his eyes, enthralled by the carefully interwoven harmonies. Yoongi tilts his head back with his eyes shut tight, letting the gorgeous noise wash over him in waves.His own songs take days and days of work sitting in the studio to sound somewhat intelligible; Yoongi can't imagine how long this piece took to write. Layers upon layers of sound clash together in the most beautiful way, and Yoongi never wants it to stop. 

      But not all good things can last forever, and soon enough Byeol's hands come to a stand still, hovering over the keys as the last chilling notes echo in the room. 

       Yoongi reopens his eyes, frowning when B's hands dart back into her lap as if they were burned by a hot stove. B turns around in the chair to face Yoongi, her hands trembling ever so slightly. She blinks up at Yoongi, her dark eyes wide and anxious.

      "Oppa-" Her voice audibly shakes, so she clears her throat and tries again, "Oppa, did it sound okay?"