Chapter 43

Please play 'Over' by Johnnyswim for this chapter. Thank you SO much for over 12 THOUSAND views on FFTGB! Please don't forget to vote and comment! :)

* * * * * *

"Pick up. Pick up, pick up, pick up," I begged. I wasn't crying, not yet anyways. I yanked open the car door and sat behind the steering wheel. Thanking God that I had remembered to grab my keys.

Ever since Blake and I moved in together, he'd been distant and we got into a lot of fights. I had a feeing that I wasn't the only girl in his life, but some naive part of me hoped I was wrong. Of all the times that I wanted to be right about something, why did it have to be now?

"Rae?" James' voice was husky and my heart fluttered.

"You know how I told you that I'd call you? Last year?"

"Of course." I  could tell that James was alert now, hanging on to my every word.

"Well, I've been kind of busy but I'm calling you now. If you still want me."

"Rae, what happened? What's wrong?"

"I saw Blake-" I couldn't even finish the sentence because a lump was rising in my throat. No matter how many times I tried to swallow it down, it was too persistent.

"I know you're in America but I don't know what else to do. I've bothered Alice and Beth too many times about things like this and I don't know who to go to. I just feel very alone right now and I'm scared."

I heard James breathing heavily on the other end.

"I don't want to be alone right now, but I am. I don't have a clue about what to do anymore and I'm scared." I looked up and saw Blake stumbling through the door to the parking garage. I turned the key in the ignition and drove out of the parking space.

"Raelene!" I heard him shout over the engine and through the thin pane of glass that was my window.

"Rae, be careful on the road."

"Will you buy me a plane ticket home? I'll pay you back, I swear. I just need to get out of here." I put the phone on speaker and set it in my lap so both of my shaking hands would be on the wheel.

"Yeah, yeah. Which airport?" I told James the airport that was closest to me.

"I can get there in about thirty minutes. When does the next flight leave?" There was silence on the other end of the line and I choked on a sob again.

"James, when is the next flight?"

"Tomorrow at nine in the morning." I pulled to the side of the road, ignoring the horns of other cars. I cut the engine and rested my head against the steering wheel.

"It's six in the evening right now," I told him pathetically. 

"Go find a hotel. He'll go looking for you and then you can stop by the apartment and pack some things."

"That's a good idea." I think I would've stayed on the side of the road for hours if James wasn't helping me. I started the car again and merged back onto the road. I didn't bother googling the nearest hotel, I just drove until I found one.

The call with James was now reaching twenty minutes.

"You're still there?" I asked.

"Yes."

"Well, I found a hotel so will you text me the information about the flight?"

"Yeah. I'll see you soon." I ended the call. I never heard the beeps that signaled a waiting call while I was driving, but I guess I had missed fifteen calls from Blake.