Chapter 2

After lunch, and multiple very embarrassing bursts of laughter, the rest of the day went by smoothly. My classes were classes, but there wasn't really anything to worry about. After the final period of the day, I walked to my locker to find James waiting for me. He was leaning against it, legs crossed at the ankle and smiled when he saw me coming near.

"Hey."

"Hey," I smiled at him as I entered my locker combination and put a couple of textbooks back on the only shelf inside. I shut my locker quietly and turned to face him. His hands were hidden in his pockets and he was looking at a scuff mark on the floor between his feet.

Finally, he spoke. "I was wondering if you'd like to..." he trailed off. I couldn't fight the grin on my face as I waited for him to finish. He took in a big breath, his eyes met mine and he quickly said, "I was wondering if you'd like to go to a moviethisweekend?" The last three words might as well have been one huge word, but I knew what he was trying to say. James' eyes dropped back to the scuff mark and the tips of his eyes were bright red.

"I'd love to." He was seemingly extra cute when flustered. A huge grin broke out on his face. He seemed to regain his confidence back and he held out his arm for me so I took it. Together, we walked out of the school and across the parking lot to reach my car. 

One of my favorite things about James, was that he wasn't arrogant. He knew he was good looking, yes, but he didn't flaunt it like some people I knew. I thought back to the boy in the office and tried not to roll my eyes.

"Don't hit me with the door again, please," he begged as we reached my car. Now it was my turn to blush. 

"I really am sorry, James. I didn't see you there when I opened the door." He laughed and handed me his phone. I took it and looked at him quizzically. The phone felt heavy in my hand, yet it was the same one I owned. Nerves crept their way around my stomach.

He looked down at the cement beneath us. "Will you put your number in it?" His ears were red again. Smiling, I entered my number and handed his phone back to him. "Thanks," he mumbled, looking up at me. 

"It's no problem. I guess I'll see you tomorrow?" I smiled at him. He nodded, waved good bye and disappeared behind a few cars. I sighed and unlocked my car. 

I crawled inside and put the keys in the ignition. It looked like there was gong to be rain today, so I left the top of the car up and shut my door. I opened the weather app on my phone to see what this weekend would be like. Thunderstorms. That'll be just peachy. I knew it was extremely rare for rain to happen in California, but I just happened to show up when I don't even get a chance to get a shade or two darker than 'snow'.

Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap. Terrified that something had happened to my beloved car, I looked around before finding the source of the noise. I looked out my window and there stood the boy from the office. I groaned quietly, turning my head while I rolled my eyes. I rolled my window down halfway.

"Can I help you?" This was one conversation that I wanted to keep short but I still pasted a big, cheesy grin on my face.

He smirked, his light blue eyes twinkling. "Actually, yeah, I think you can help me. You can stop hanging out with Myers." Myers was James' last name.

"No, thank you." I began to roll my window up. The boy grabbed the window with his long fingers to stop it from going up any further.

"There is one more thing," he trailed off. I looked at him expectantly, patience running out. People like this guy really ground my gears. I nearly choked at the next thing he said.

"Let me drive you to and from school tomorrow."

I raised one eyebrow, then I laughed out loud. "In your dreams, stranger." I finished rolling the window up and began backing out.