Chapter 18

I tried to hide my shock from Blake, so I smiled and took his mask from him. I moved it around in my hands, admiring it. I didn't want him to notice my uneasiness about the fact that I had a better time with whoever was Zorro than I did with him. I also didn't want James to say anything to me.

I wondered if Blake had known that James was drinking.

When we arrived back at my house, the driver opened my door and I followed Beth and Alice outside, leaving Blake and James in the car. I shot him one last smile and carried his mask with me.

Beth and Alice fell asleep after changing, helping me get the diamonds out of my hair, and helping me get my mask off. I had some time alone, so I set Blake's mask on my nightstand and stared at it, thinking about what Zorro told me.

I want to see if you can fall in love with me one more time.

It depends on if you stop hanging around that guy.

I'd like to marry you someday.

* * * * * *

When I woke up, the first thing I saw was the mask on my nightstand. I picked it up to look at it again. I ran my finger along the edge of it, and then picked up my phone to call Blake. I dialed his number and he picked up on the second ring.

"You're lucky. If it was anyone else calling me this early, they wouldn't ever wake up again." I heard his smile on the other end of the line.

"It's 10 in the morning, Blake. You should've been up a long time ago. I should've been up a long time ago."

I could tell Blake was still sleeping because his voice was raspy. "So we should've been up a long time ago. I like the sound of that. We," he laughed.

"I have a question for you."

I heard him yawn. "Hmm?"

"Who was dressed as Zorro?" In my head, the question didn't sound so desperate, but as soon as they were out, I realized that I sounded like a lovestruck girl.

I was lost, genuinely lost. The whole character, the voice, the words... They added up to Alek. But Alek didn't go to our school, and it was Greenwell students only.

"What does that guy have to do with anything? You just need to know that he hurt you and he doesn't deserve you. You shouldn't have to worry about him."

"I'm sorry, it's just- never mind. Do you wanna come over today?" I changed the subject.

"Of course I'd like to come over, but you aren't getting off that easy. I'll be there soon." The line went dead and I fell back on my bed, my hair fanning out over my head.

After about a minute, I crawled out of bed and stepped over the sleeping figures of Beth and Alice who always wanted to sleep on my bedroom floor with a whole bunch of blankets for some reason. I think I remember them saying something about how it's better for your posture. I kept my sweatpants on, but changed my shirt and put my hair in a ponytail.

I heard the door bell ring and I ran downstairs to answer it. I swung open the door and smiled at Blake. He was wearing a pair of sweatpants with a black t-shirt. He looked gorgeous.

"What happened last night that makes Zorro," he spat the name out, "so special?" I groaned and stepped to the side of the entrance so Blake could walk inside and I shut the door behind him.

"It was just something with Jasmine that he helped me out with. Please tell me who it was?"

"What happened?" Blake pressed, ignoring my plea.