Chapter 9

I gathered up all of my shopping bags and left the mall with Alice and Beth. When we got back to my house, I think they understood that I needed to be alone for a while so they went back to their own houses. I walked up to my room, dropped my bags on the carpet and fell into my bed. I screamed and screamed into my pillows until my head pounded.

"You done?" I flipped onto my back in record time when I heard the voice. 

"No." He had already seen me at my worst, so I flipped back onto my stomach and started screaming again.

I felt his hand on my shoulder and turned my head to look at him. He removed his hand and kneeled on the floor so that he was eye level with my horizontal figure.

"You at least deserve a break. Come with me," he said as he stood up and left my bedroom. I dragged myself out of my bed and glanced in the mirror. I wiped mascara smudges from under my eyes, my skin tugging painfully with the motion, and tried smoothing my hair a little but it didn't work.

I walked outside and slid into the passenger seat of his SUV. I flipped my phone over a few times as we drove, contemplating whether or not I should call James, but Blake snatched it out of my hands and tucked it safely in his back pocket.

"Hey! Give that back!" I shouted, but then my headache returned so I pressed my palms against my temples and closed my eyes.

His car shifted into park and I looked up to see us in front of a diner that looked run down. Blake opened his door and walked over to the passenger side. He opened my door and helped me out of the car.

"Come on." Blake's pressed his hand against the small of my back and opened the diner's doors for us. Inside, it was mainly empty, aside from the few waitresses, who seemed to be older than the diner were around. The outside was extremely fooling when you actually saw the black and white tiles floor, shining from the soft lights overhead. Teal colored tables were edged with metal and had the menu under the glass top. 

"What are we doing here?" I looked at him curiously as we took a seat in a small booth at the edge of the diner.

Blake simply pointed to the menu in front of me and began to look over it himself. "When James got home, he slammed his door and wouldn't talk to anyone. I figured if anyone could frustrate him this much, it'd be you."

I let my eyes roam over the food and drink choices, waiting for Blake to finish speaking.

"I thought I should check on you, so I stopped by your place. Your mom let me in and showed me where your room was. You were screaming your head off, so you were either pissed or you're psychotic." Blake smirked at me and looked up at me.

A little old lady shuffled over to our booth to take our order. Her name tag told me her name was Mildred. "I'll have the hamburger with fries and a chocolate shake," Blake ordered.

"I'll have the same." I smiled at the adorable woman and she shuffled away to give the chef our orders.

"It still doesn't explain why we're here." I waved my hand around the diner in a failed attempt to emphasize my point.

Blake narrowed his eyes at me. "You didn't listen to the warning I gave you."

"Blake! I am trying to ask you a question!" I didn't want to raise my voice, so my words came out as furious whispers.

"I took you here because I come here when I'm pissed. Alright? These little old ladies make my day a hundred times better. I thought that maybe if I took you here, you'd cheer up a little bit." Blake spoke quickly, leaning closer to me as he did.

"I don't need you to help cheer me up. I can handle this myself." I ground my teeth together to keep from shouting at him.

"I answered your question," he said. "Now you answer mine. Why didn't you listen to me?"