Chapter 17

His voice sounded familiar, but the music was too loud for me to pin point who it actually was. Surprisingly, the black piece of fabric covering his face hid more than I would've thought. The hair would've given him away, had it not been for the wide brimmed hat and lack of light.

I wondered if he knew who I was or if he thought I was someone else, but I was tired of people looking at me like I was a piece of glass just because I'd been comatose a few weeks ago.

I grinned at him and batted my heavy lashes. "I guess you did."

There weren't a lot of boys who actually came in costume, most of them just threw on a mask and nicer clothes. I was pleased that a few boys actually put some thought into their outfits.

"I'm Zorro, m'lady." 'Zorro' bowed with a flourish of his cape. I couldn't help but laugh at the flamboyant gesture. 

"I'd tell you my name, but it seems you already know who I am."

"Indeed, I do. But you do need a name for the night. What shall it be? Any suggestions?" 

"Let's see... Well, I'm dressed as the night sky so why not 'Sky'?"

"Sky it is." Under his breath, he added what sounded like "the night sky is so you, Raelene" but it was too faint to know for sure.

"Excuse me?" I pressed.

"Nothing." Zorro obviously knew who I was, but I had no clue who he was.

"I'd really like to dance with you, Sky." Zorro held his gloved hand out to me and I placed my hand in the leather and let him pull me into the dance floor.

"Zorro," I began. "You know who I am." My words were more of a statement than a question, but Zorro nodded.

"Do I know who you are?" I asked and Zorro nodded again.

"I know you very well, and you think you know me but you don't know the real me." Zorro moved his hand to cup my neck and the feeling felt familiar but I couldn't figure out why it was or where I knew it from.

I moved my fingers to Zorro's face to lift up his mask, but he grabbed my wrist, stopping me before I had the chance to catch a glimpse of his face. He winked, hiding one of his blue eyes from me for a split second, and smirked. "Sorry, but I want to see if you can fall in love with me one more time."

"How can I fall in love with someone if I don't even know who they are?" Zorro smirked and shrugged. "After this, will you ever come forward so I know who you are?" I asked.

"Possibly. It depends on if you stop hanging around that guy." Zorro nodded his head at someone else walking towards us dressed at the Phantom of the Opera.

"Excuse me, may I cut in and have this dance?" The Phantom interjected.

I nodded, took the hand of The Phantom and glanced back at Zorro, but he'd already disappeared in the sea of people.

The Phantom placed his hands on my waist, just as Zorro had, and we began to dance.

"Night sky?" The Phantom broke the silence between us.

"What?" I asked, not making any sense of his question.

"You're dressed as the night sky, right?"

"Oh, yeah. Phantom of the Opera?" I returned his question.

The Phantom nodded and smiled at me, but I only saw half of his lips curve up. 

"Do you know who's dressed as Zorro?" I asked.

I felt The Phantom shift his hands uncomfortably on my waist and his shoulders tensed beneath my hands.

"Sadly. He's a jerk. He shouldn't even be here." His long fingers drummed on my waist.