Chapter 38

The girl around my age stared at Blake and me expectantly as we stood in front of the counter

"I'll have a foot long club on Italian," I told her.

"What kind of cheese?"

"None, please."

"Toasted?" she asked me.

"Yes, please."

Blake wrapped his arm around my waist and whispered into my ear, "No cheese?"

"I don't like cheese."

The girl stared at Blake, a little too eagerly, to get his order.

"Tuna, please. Foot long, Italian." The girl began to make his order and the oven beeped, signaling my sandwich was done toasting. A guy around my age stepped out from the back and asked me what I'd like.

"Lettuce, cucumbers and black olives, please," I told the worker. He quickly placed the ingredients into the sandwich, asked me if that was all, and wrapped the sandwich up in a way that I'd always admired.

Blake's sandwich was wrapped next to mine and he payed for the two sandwiches.

"I get the next meal." Blake just laughed in my face and finished the last half of his tuna sandwich.

"Ready?" I nodded and forced my dry mouth to swallow the last chunk of bread and stood up.

Blake and I walked outside and I walked over to the passenger side.

"Do you want me to drive for a while?"

"No, you still look tired. Let's just get some rest."

"Okay, I'll look for a hotel or something," I told Blake, pulling out my phone to look for the closest place to sleep.

"Acutally, Raelene. I brought a whole bunch of blankets and pillows. We could just sleep in the back of the car?" Blake suggested and I smiled.

"Alright."

Blake grinned and started driving to a place we could spend the night. We pulled into a rest stop and Blake got out of the car to start setting blankets and pillows down in the back.

"Fold those seats back, would you?" I nodded and pulled the handle, causing the row of seats to fold into the bottom of the car. Blake threw a blanket at me and I spread it over the ground.

Please start playing 'Clarity' by Andrew Garcia and Andy Lange for the rest of the chapter. :)

About ten minutes and ten blankets later, the floor of the car was softer and I laid down on my back. Blake crawled into the backseat too, shutting the trunk door behind him. He spread himself out beside me and I rolled my head to the side to look at him.

"It's raining," Blake told me, shaking the little moisture from his hair.

"Do you want to read Mildred's letter now?" I asked him, knowing that he would say yes.

"Of course."

I sat up and crawled over the console of the car. I reached into the glove box and pulled out the three letters. I leaned my back against the side of the car, Blake sitting across from me.

"For when you tell each other," I read aloud. I slid my finger underneath the seal and pulled it across the letter, opening it.

Blake and I both took in a big breath, the only sound was the rain pattering on the window.

I read the letter to Blake, word for word.

"Well, it's about time. I knew that it would take Raelene a bit longer than my Blakie. I could tell that stuff had happened to you, Raelene, that made it hard for you to say 'I love you'. I'm so thankful that you finally did, though. I knew my Blakie had let it slip earlier than he should have, but that's just who he is.