Chapter 16

I stepped out of the dressing room wearing the gown my friends had chosen for me.

They both stared at me without speaking.

"Well?" I pressed.

"That is your dress," said Alice.

"Don't even look at any more," Beth added.

"Don't our dresses need to have a theme?" I asked, running my hands over the bodice.

Beth nodded, but Alice spoke. "Yeah, like Beth wanted to be a bird, so she's gonna have a lot of feathers. I wanted to be a character, so who's better than Alice in Wonderland?" Alice giggled a little at her pun. I knew they had already found their costumes and wouldn't let me see, so I imagined what their dresses might look like.

"So what am I?" I asked, genuinely confused about my dress.

"We thought it was obvious. You're the night sky."

I looked in the mirror again and admired my dress. Starting at the bottom, there were silver jewels scattered over a deep blue, almost black, fabric and grew in concentration up to the neckline. The bodice was only the silver jewels, not a single inch of dark fabric in sight.

I smiled at my reflection and nodded. "All right. I'll get this one. Now you two need to show me your dresses."

My friends clapped their hands in glee and they changed into their dresses to show me.

Beth, who wanted to be a bird, wore a black gown made of feathers that hugged every one of her curves. Alice bought a baby blue dress with a white apron on the front that stopped right below her knees.

Now, we needed masks. Beth found hers right away, it was an elaborate feather mask with a small beak right on the nose. Feathers towered over her head and a single black stone rested where every feather began.

After a little searching, Alice found hers in a costume shop. It was a gold rabbit that covered her whole face. It was on a stick so she had to hold it throughout the night, but she said she wanted a mask exactly like that one, especially if it was a full-faced one.

Once again, they took me to a little shop that no one could ever find.

"Guys, do you hunt for perfect little stores just for me?" I joked.

"Possibly," Beth laughed and handed me a small white velvet box. I took it from her manicured hands and looked at each of my friends.

"Go on! Open it!" Alice demanded, obviously proud of their choice of a mask. I flipped open the top of the box and my jaw dropped as I took in the ornate mask.

Think 100 tiny diamonds clustered together so tightly that it might as well have been one big diamond.

"No." I closed the lid and handed it back to Beth, who wouldn't take it.

"If you don't get it, we'll get it for you and superglue it to your face while you sleep. It's perfect for the moon part of your costume."

It was. So I bought it, shocked at how low the price was for such a perfect mask.

Blake texted me to tell me he was still looking for his costume and I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of Blake actually shopping for a costume.

"Accessories!" Beth shouted.

"We have our dresses and masks, what else do we need?" I groaned. My legs were already starting to burn with the amount of walking I was being forced to do.

Beth started listing things. "Shoes, gloves, jewelry, Alice needs stockings..." I tuned her out at the sight of James and Jasmine sitting on a bench together. A black garment bag was sitting next to James and a white gown bag was resting across Jasmine's skinny legs and she was swatting away James' hand who was trying to sneak a peek of her dress.