SEVENTEEN: A Deal With The Devil

Body hung over Brady's shoulder, he carted me away from the assault instituted by witches. Living breathing witches that weren't supposed to exist, mythical creatures that were levitating and flinging missiles of fire from their bare hands. Right at the were-people, who were fighting back on all fours; strength, teeth, claws and all. I desperately searched the crowd for Dani, but chaos spurred by lifted dust and smoke made it difficult for me to see anyone clearly. All I could see were flocks of witches flying and fighting their way to get to where the blue bloods and those protecting them were.

Fear splurged all throughout my body when I saw a number of tall and exquisitely horrid witches group up and air dash towards Brady. Without anyone to explain, I knew why they were intent on him. He was a beacon because of his Alpha blood, blazing blue and enticing the witches to follow behind his zig zags. But he was going to be safe because he was who he was. A blue blood in line to become the next Alpha and environed by the first line of soldiers, who would lay down their lives to save his limbs. 

Dani had none of that; before the attack spread the pack had been eager to spill her blood. Naked and disarmed of her abilities, she was most vulnerable. That fact terrified me and that is why I ceaselessly searched for her. I couldn't see her though and the longer I couldn't find her the deeper I fell into a state of inflated panic, "Let me down!" I cried.

One of the witches caught up to us, his face was vindictively masculine, fearsome and powerful. Yet Brady managed to escape his fire missile and did it in a way where the levitating creature fell to death from his own weapon. Giving us the opportunity to flee further from the group still following behind us.

"Please, let me down!" I cried, my heart pitter-pattering for my best friend's safety but Brady wouldn't, he didn't even seem like he was listening to me. I wrestled in his arms, trying to free myself but he was stronger, so I pressed, "You have to put me down, Brady. Please."

Still no change.

Therefore I continued to beg, even as we'd escaped the witches and had left the most dangerous pathway. We turned to a corner in the centre of the apex, it was the most barren area in the Estate with no intruders except for one. Whose common eyes and pink cheeked face was a fraudulent façade to her doubtlessly foul spirit. She'd flown in from almost nowhere. When she had us cornered she smirked and the tip of her black stained tongue came out to lick her sharpest tooth. She polished a flaming and round fire bolt from the palm of her hands but it died just as quickly when her heart was clawed out by Brady. I watched in shock as her body crumpled beside his feet, my body still over his shoulder and a whole human heart in his right hand. The entire time his soldiers had left a trail of unconscious bodies in our wake, like breadcrumbs.

I worked with cadavers and had seen patients die but I had never seen such a brutal death let alone plenty in a span of fifteen minutes. My stomach proliferated in self loathing nausea and terror. I was not unfeeling or apathetic to the grave danger my mate was under, I was just more concerned about my best friend. Not able to take it anymore I surprised Brady and myself when I dug my fingernails into his neck and all at once manoeuvred around his neck and fell off his shoulder straight onto the ground.

"How is tha..." the guards and soldiers exclaimed. My eyes drowned in shock because I'd freed myself from a blue blood's hold. Even and especially with a strength suppressing herb around my neck.

I'd just began my sprint back to the gardens when I heard the command. "You're not going anywhere, Malik!" Brady had used his Alpha voice. It rippled through me with literal waves of energy traveling through the air from his blood and vibrating straight into my thick skin. Its current rocking into my deprived flesh, heart and head. Not able to resist the command I stopped and spun to face him. "Come here," his voice and eyes gave me the strong urge to fall on my knees, head bowed and a hand to my chest. In loyal obedience and blue blood worship.