ELEVEN: Confess

They dragged me to huddle along with other men and directed us to the big baobab tree. Where wild repugnance and dark werewolf anger stung the air, people were genuinely triggered by this 'cowardly mate'. I had no idea how they were going to test everyone as I spotted Sir Isaac sitting in the crowd and my assumption was that this would be run using science. And he was the head medic for the health council after all, that usually helped werewolves of age manage their puberty changes.

He was the best person for the job but like anything else in the were-people community, nothing was that simple or complicated. The entire frontline sitting with Sir Isaac had their heads bowed down, hands on their chests as their lips moved with a prayer reciting. They were pulling out all the stops for their precious trophy.

I hated him even then.

Council members strode onto the high and gold floored Dias. They collectively recited spiritual meditation in respect of the gods. Then they climbed down allowing with venerate honour, for Alpha Victrolli's first Beta to step onto it. Clad in ceremonial tattered grey and red robes the wolf-man howled sending shivers down everyone's skin and then down onto our knees in submission. He fixed his gaze to the side where all the she-wolves were camped out at. Outside of the pack, the man was Tyler's father and he ran a large and very successful legal firm. Where he was known as the most ruthless partner, I could see how he could have raised his cutthroat son and how he was known as ruthless. His eyes were solid with judgement and resentment, by no means was this a new look on the man, but this time. The look scared me so much a frozen shiver ran through my spine.

He growled.

The crowd including birds in the sky silenced.

After that he impatiently motioned for one of the council chairs; a silver haired man to light the moon blessed candle. But the man was old and slow, so the Beta yanked the lighter from the chair's hand and did the lighting himself. Afterwards, he retreated back into the house, with a dignified huff. His own army of Omegas, other Betas and Zetas followed close behind him in trots of trained panic. It was both compelling and terrifying to watch until my father's face took centre stage.

Validation was gifted to him by were-people beating on their chests with fists and howling. He spoke to the crowd but I was too distracted to listen, even as he walked off. Towards a tall intimidating acrylic lectern was with purpose and anger radiating off him. I could smell him and so did everyone else who shared the same emotion with him. So it didn't take long at all for noise to erupt on the grounds, with people turning into wolves, tossing, whistling and acting like a pack of wild rogues. Most even growled at the closed gates, to where the women were, demanding for the hiding mate to show herself yet I stood still and did nothing.

I found no traces of guilt in me if anything my blood was laced with hot fear for Dani and how she was coping. The howling went up again, this time the air came with a strong whiff of oestrogen. To the left, I saw council leader Mr. Hannez motion to the shelter with his hand and the steely doors were bolted open. Making way for the first batch of female wolves to come in.

Most were in their human form all dolled up and riling up the crowd of boys. Boys that liked the idea of pretty company and liked the fact of unity to bash whomever this 'coward mate' was. Mothers ululated from the back, cheering the girls on. Fathers remained still but hope could be seen swirling in their eyes. I looked for my family and found them unworried but still intend of getting the best out of the bad situation.

"It's literally raining bitches!" Some high school kid behind me yelled which was followed by affirmative whistles and howls from males.

I felt a nudge on my arm and turned to a couple of boys I remembered from high school. "Yo, Malik shouldn't you be over there?" the dark skinned one nodded to the first batch of females who were lining up.