FIFTEEN: The Assembly

The doors flew open; an army of brute men led by Tyler entered the closed quarters. Their armed shoulders straight and diligent with orders to escort us back to the arena. The sound of their boots on the tiles was loud, confident and haste. The energy of it all demanded my attention until I heard Tyler greet. "Brady, man."

The two embraced in a hug; the one they used to give each other in school. One pat on the back, a second long shoulder graze ended with a carefree knuckle bump. "The insistence for the traitor's penance garnered, ninety two percent red ribbon signatures. I'm sure you saw?" Tyler asked with raised eyebrows, the very second he came out of their elaborate greeting.

"I approve," Brady declared with a serious tone sitting on his tongue and a delegating nod to Mr. Hannez the council member who'd entered closely behind Tyler. "One change though."

The man gave a slight bow and Tyler nodded for Brady to continue.

"She will atone for her treason but instead of chopping her head and feeding her dignity to the pride. Assemble all frontline troops on probation, each will release a bullet to her heart on the count of three. That way she'll die humanly."

Why kill her at all was the question and my face showed it.

"It's kind to our troops. Who will benefit from never knowing whose bullet hit her to death." He he explained to me and faced his delegate. "Prepare the racket. I will be sending her off in a proper wolf burial."

"What about her!" with every work, I was breaking. "How is that kind to her?"

He looked at me, "I'm giving her a proper wolf burial."

My heart tore open, all my muscles went rigid and just when I was going to protest, Tyler spoke too quickly, "That's too kind, think of the message this will send to the traitors amongst us?" his jaw locked, he cracked his neck and his Beta scent suffocated the room. The tangy scent of it was beyond tinged with anger. It also riffled with rage and the need to kill for his Alpha, any other time, I may have been cowered away with my tail between my legs.

"It's what I have decided," Brady replied.

"She shouldn't die for this anyway." I demanded at the same time Tyler challenged, "Based on what ground?"

"By my blood," Brady declared, then supplied his reason, "The girl is my mate's best friend, I'm doing it for him."

I chocked. 

Tyler didn't even pretend to honour that decree. His eyes bore wildly into his Alpha's and best friend as he spoke again. "Well by my faith, I beg the blue in your blood to reconsider. What that girl did was not only an act of violence against you but the entire Blue Bloodline, and the gods. How you handle this especially as you begin your reign as Alpha extends far beyond your mate and this pack." he lowered his voice but his tone grew even heavier with a grave warning. "They are watching, all of them."

Mr. Hannez had remained calm throughout the entire exchange, it was only at this point he drew nearer with a couple of sure steps. "My apologies Alpha." he gave a bow, "I understand you think giving her a kind execution and a werewolf's burial is a way to work your way into your mate's good graces. I shouldn't have to mention this but I think it's in your best interests to remember. That your mate rejected you was his decision and the girl chose him over her Alpha. The law is the law."

My blood ran cold, and with my lips shut I tried to deliver a prayer to the gods. It was in vain and I was in fear. A heavy incessant throb mastered itself in my chest telling me to apologize. I wasn't sure it would ever stop even after the apology because either way, my best friend was still going to get a punishment. One that required her to die, and I knew my fate was going to be worse than death. The throb made me hot all over and not in a nice way, I couldn't concentrate on anything knowing they wanted her dead. "I am so sorry," I blurted, surprising even myself by the tears that sprang. "I am so sorry. I will do anything. I didn't mean what I said earlier. I will willingly let you mark me if you..."