ONE:The Mate Bond.

The only light permitting the room was dim and it felt like all my senses were shutting down, with the exception of my sense of smell

The only light permitting the room was dim and it felt like all my senses were shutting down, with the exception of my sense of smell. Which on the contrary seemed to heighten with every passing second. My condition had been worsening with each episode for months. The first month was especially brutal. It felt like death was flirting with me and even though I was not ready to die. The slow brutality of the pain had me praying for instant death. That was how sick I felt. 

Overwhelmed with concern, my mother's heart bled for me and because of it, she consulted the medical wing of the were-people-council. The council helped me through the ordeal by taking measures to test with the intent to diagnose my symptoms.

They found something.

In simplicity, my body and mind were preparing themselves to receive a mate. It was normal, I was going through puberty2.0 for the soul and the were part of my biology. That had been months ago. Today I'd woken up sicker than ever the pain tangibly excruciating. I felt like death, I could smell death and at times I prayed death would just come and be done with me already. Sir Isaac the lead doctor claimed there wasn't much to do for me other than to put me on bed rest and wait for the pull to take me home. "Home" being the arms of the mate the gods dealt me. Being sixteen I was ripe and ready to find one either by means of an encounter or a dream by the culmination of the full moon, which was on that night.

Again, I picked up that scent that had been deriding me all day and for the life, in me, I couldn't put a word to describe it with justice. It smelt delicate, almost tangible in the air with a potency that came up in thick waves and like an idiot I tried to catch it with my hands kind of like a firefly. Of course, that didn't work and the wolf in me couldn't handle it so on weak legs and burning eyes I jumped from my bed and ran outside. Chasing the location of the scent that was giving me life in the midst of a suffocating cloud of death.

Something in me knew I would feel better after locating that scent.

That was the scent of my mate.

Me chasing it was basic instinct.

Me chasing it was chasing after life itself.

Outside the air was filled with that scent and my eyes burned so bad I was convinced fire could be shot out of them. I was going blind at this rate and should've been in bed but this scent I was picking up on was thicker than a Kardashian and kept growing larger than Kanye's ego, haunting my insides.

It felt infuriating.

My wolf felt frustrated.

Against my will my body shifted into my wolf being, my heightened sense of smell led the way as I'd gone blind somehow. The woods always scared me but the path felt, smelt and sat familiar. Offering me an artificial privilege to howl into the night. The delicate air went too quiet all of a sudden. Then it grew serene, and the world went still slowing me down. My left ear rang with a sharp irritating deafness.