PROLOGUE

The entire pack watched fire burn away the last remnants of our traitors

The entire pack watched fire burn away the last remnants of our traitors. I don't remember much of the important details that led to their burning but its the urgency at which our pack's Oracle fell to her knees in begging submission that I vividly remember. The old silver-haired lady shot a loud screeching cry to heaven, tears cascading down her wrinkled hundred-something-year-old face. Everyone was stunned beyond words when she bowed to the crowd.

She had bowed to the crowd.

The Oracle bowed to no were-person except the blue-blooded line but on that night, she bowed. With agony, she shed blood tears and fell to the ground until she finally delivered the message she had so violently received from the gods. The message strongly urged all guardians and parents to better educate their offspring. Repeatedly and often about the grave importance of never provoking our gods.

That very night my mother used her title in the pack to sanction a regulated cleansing ritual on the entire pack. She also made an executive decision within our family walls. Where for a week straight she dedicated herself to putting my sister and me to bed by telling us traditional stories. 

On the week's last evening everyone hadn't forgotten of the traitors and how they had angered the gods with disobedience on the sacred ground no less but no one spoke on it. Not even my father who as the pack's head council member had to carry the burden of offering up a sacrifice to the gods in the heartlands of our territory. Which consisted of the entire region on the west coast. 

On that last week's evening, the night was warm, alive and the moon was at its fullest and brightest, flirting with the black of the sky. Ma seemed particularly high on herself judging by the way she had carried herself and treated others throughout the day. Even the way she was smiling was a marvel to watch as she read to me and my twin sister folklore stories. With embedded moral lessons, she knew would mould us into custom-abiding were-people. The stories she read were an adventure to drown in, to the point where she didn't think twice when my twin sister - Malia asked to be excused for a bathroom break. Nor did I feel the need to point out that my twin sister - Malia had in fact snuck out. 

"You didn't leave with your sister?" Mama enquired once she put the book down and realised her daughter wasn't going to come back from her 'bathroom break'.

I lowered my eyes and flipped a page from one of her thick Pack history books. "No."

"You could join her if you want?" ma brushed a hair from my face, "Do you know where she's snuck off to tonight?"

"I don't." I lied with a straight face, I knew exactly where she was. She and every other were-kid our age except me had been invited by the Alpha's son, who was also in our age group. To the centre of the forest to spy on the older kids in high school. Anyway, I carried on, "but even if I knew, where she's at. I don't feel like going out." 

I wasn't as outgoing as the other kids and to a degree, I think it's because of this that they sometimes forgot I was just like them. A were-person that liked community and was as equally fascinated by the moon full or crescent. I was just like them, curious about the older kids that could turn at will and do daredevil stunts at midnight bonfire parties.