Chapter 42 ➳ In The Water

After I returned home on my own, I saw Carl on his porch and he waved to me with a smile. I wanted to go and speak to him, ask if he got whatever he had to do done, but he held a sleeping Judith in his arms and I didn't want to disturb her sleep.

Then, I walked to mine and Daryl's shared home, where I showered, changed into actual sleeping clothes, and laid my head down to rest. I began to think before I could dream.

I thought about all that had happened that day, everything from talking to Carl to arguing with Daryl and Tara over Dwight. I had almost slipped out everything about myself and Dwight, but they would never forgive me. Ever.

It must of been hours that I slept before I felt somebody wake me up. It was so dark in my room, seeing how the sun had finally went down for the night, and the only light provided was the moon faintly peeking through my white curtains from my windows.

I somewhat twirled around and rubbed my eyes with my balled-fists and could paint out a black silhouette of someone lying next to me on my bed. With basically one eye opened, I squeaked out: "Daryl?"

The silhouette moved closer until I saw their face as clear as day, thanks to the moon's light into the room. I couldn't believe who it was and I breathed out, "Dwight?"

"Tess," he breathed back out at me. He slid his hand underneath my left cheek and placed his somewhat cold hand on my neck. "Were you expecting Daryl?"

"Huh?" I was confused, I'm not going to lie. I had just woke up, after all. Part of me was starting to think that this was all a dream than reality. "How did you... How did you get in here?"

"I snuck in," he admitted and I thought it was either a lie or I was going crazy. "It was easier said than done, to be honest. I wanted to come and see you."

"Why?" I decided to ask, trying not to fall back asleep. I was still trying to wake myself up from my good resting. "You need to get out of here because if Daryl or Tara see you, they may kill you."

"Maybe," he agreed, seeing the harm in him being here. "I'm not leaving until I do something."

"What is it?"

Then, before I knew it, he had leaned in and lightly pressed his lips to mine. He took me by surprise and that is why I sucked in my breath at first. My eyes hung open until he deepened the kiss and, slowly and softly, I closed them and laid back as he crawled over me. He placed each of his hands on both sides of my head, lying on top of my flattened hair.

"I missed you," he confessed after his lips let go of mine. "I feel like I haven't seen you in so long."

"How are you here?" I asked, not giving up on my questions. "The Sanctuary is surrounded by Walkers."

"Is it?" He said this, like he already had all the answers. "Have you missed me, too, Tess?"

"Yes," I answered openly and honestly. "I have missed you, but... How the hell did you make it through all those Walkers, D?"

He smirked and shook his head before leaning down and pressed another kiss to my lips. He used his right hand to brush his fingers through my now-dry hair. "I'll see you later, baby."