➳ P R O L O G U E

Working seven hours a day from nine to five just wasn't cutting it. The money that I have been saving up in the bank was showing it, too. At this rate, I won't ever get to afford my dream wedding dress. I had over a thousand dollars saved up and most of it goes towards my bills every week.

My fiancé, Kurt Woods, is doing the best that he can with the decent-paying job that he has. I, however, am stuck at an eight seventy-five an hour full-time job. I work at Virginia's local Hospital, on the floor where all the cancer patients stay on.

I could've worked at the nursing home, probably for more pay, but I stayed. I stayed for some odd reason. I still can't figure it out, to be honest. Somehow, I make the best of it everyday.

   As of late, however, I definitely really wished that I wasn't working here. With this weird virus going around, everyone is coming directly to the hospital to somehow cure them. Most have died. Actually, all of them have died, as far as I know.

Everyone was required to wear masks, no matter what level you worked on. My patients weren't exactly the real sick ones. Just the ones with cancer and things such as that.

With a tray of medication in my hand, looking lore like a waitress than a nurse, I turned the knob to one of the many rooms on my floor, and entered. I smiled, even through my mask, and greeted one of my patients. "Hello there, Don," I greeted the old man sitting up in his wheelchair. He didn't like being called Mr. Bennett. It's Don or nothing. "Ready to take your medicine today, sir?"

   He slowly lifted his head up and nodded. He gestured for me to come further in, so I cracked the door behind me, just like I normally do. "Yes, ma'am," he croaked with a smile. He didn't have to wear a mask because he's always in his room.

Don was only in his late sixties, but he had stage-four lung cancer. It was just eating him up, but I prayed every single night for him and the rest of my patients to get better. He's just so nice, gentle, and funny. He'a definitely one of a kind, I tell you what.

He lifted his head up and held his mouth open for his daily medication. He knew the routine. I dropped them in and, immediately, helped him gulp down some water.

Suddenly, I heard some loud racket coming from the hallway, but didn't think much of it. There's always something going on, like somebody having some sort of problem.

I focused back on Don and sniffled. "So, has your kids come to see you any this past weekend?" I asked, thinking back to the time he told me that he had two kids around my age.

"They, uh...," his voice trailed off when he coughed once to through his throat. "They haven't been by in a while. They're living their lives, miss."

I placed my hands on my hips, still holding the tray, and sighed. "Well, if you were my daddy, I would come and see you every single day." I was being dramatic about it, but in a humorous way, of course.

He chuckled and softly said, "Well, you do. Always."

With that said, I smiled again underneath my mask and watched him for a minute. Closing his eyes with a smile on his face. He wasn't going to sleep, just sitting there and enjoying the moment.

Abruptly, I heard something very uncommon in these mysterious halls. I heard yelling and loud stomping, enough to wake up the whole floor and the one underneath us, too.

"Get down!" I heard some angry and loud tones echo throughout the hallway, carrying down all the way to Don's room. "Put your hands up where we can see them! Now!"

Don perked his head up and asked nervously, "What's that noise, miss?"

I glanced from him back to the cracked door. Shaking, I answered honestly: "I... I honestly have no idea, Don. Let me... Let me go check."