Chapter 21 ➳ Remember

"Are you allowed to sleep with anyone?"

I was in the process of asking Dwight as we sat across from each other, standing by our bedroom doors. I don't know what made me want to ask him, but I did. It was just a question since I know that Negan hogs all of the women — including Dwight's very own wife, Sherry.

"I suppose, if I was gay, he wouldn't mind me sleeping with another man," he claimed, slowly nodding and somewhat smiling about it. It was cute, I have to say. "But, you... You women can sleep with anybody here or from any other place that we visit."

Hm, I'll be damned. Yet, his sudden reply pursued me to ask him a follow-up question. "What about Daryl? What if he's my boyfriend? I can't be with him while he's being held prisoner here?"

Dwight sighed and rolled his eyes all in one motion. "No, you can't," he hissed before launching himself off the wall. He took three — maybe four — steps until he was standing directly in front of me, somewhat towering over my short frame. "And, I doubt that he's yours because I seen how you looked at that Asian boy. Yet, that boy didn't say your name for his last words. Did he?"

I was growing to become bitter and downright angry towards his sudden mention of Glenn. He has no idea what Glenn meant to me. "First of all, he was Korean."

Rolling his eyes, he deadpanned: "Whatever."

"And, second of all," I picked right back up where I lastly was, "you're not allowed to mention Glenn. Nobody is anymore. I loved him and he loved me, but—"

"But," he quickly intervened, "he was married to that pregnant girl, Maggie. He loved her more than you. That's why nobody is allowed to mention him anymore. Am I right? I mean... What could've been, Tess. Am I about right?"

I was more angry now than I was before. He was speaking the truth in volumes here, but I couldn't ever admit that he was right. He didn't even legitimately know us, but he could put he pieces together as one. It wasn't that hard, after all, yet Maggie hasn't figured it out. She doesn't need to. It's all in the past now, buried with Glenn.

"Shut up," I hissed, quickly spinning around and turning my back on him.

Since the door to my bedroom was left to me, it didn't take long for me to open the door and try to slam it behind myself. Yet, he had caught it before I could with his boot in the door and his hand on the outer frame. He wasn't going to let this go, was he?

He was shaking his head and began to somewhat whisper: "Don't cry for what happened."

I didn't know what he was talking about until I reached up to my face and felt the tears running down my cheeks. I was crying, but didn't realize it until he had said something. This seemed to be always happening, as of late, ever since Glenn's passing.

I couldn't move on...

"Just... leave me alone, Dwight," I growled, trying my best to wipe the tears off my face as quick as they land on there. "This isn't any of your concern."

By this point, he had completely secure himself inside with the door now fully shut behind him. He had stepped forward to where he was back to towering over me. "You need to move on," he tried telling me, which didn't help matters much. "He's gone, Tess. I'm sorry."

"You're sorry?!" I almost began to scream, but knew that I needed to keep it low for the suspicious. "You're not sorry, Dwight! You couldn't be sorry even if your life depended on it!" I paused, but only to regroup to no avail. "And, as far as 'moving on,' I can't do it! I loved him and, now, I can't ever have him again! Even if we were to be friends forever and I would have to keep my feelings to myself forever... It wouldn't matter — as long as he would be here with me now."