Chapter 39 ➳ Monsters

❝It's hard to see a way out, isn't it?❞— JOANNA WYLDE —

It's hard to see a way out, isn't it?
— JOANNA WYLDE —

Eduardo and I led the group around the building, as we could see Paul and Tara leading their own group

Eduardo and I led the group around the building, as we could see Paul and Tara leading their own group. They held their guns up, fearing that we were Saviors. They took a deep breath when they realized that we weren't.

"Tess," Paul breathed out a sigh of relief before his eyes began to fall down to my clothes, which widened. "What happened? Are you okay?"

I just briefly closed my eyes, shook my head, and depressingly replied, "It's not mine."

With that said, Paul and Tara nodded before we hounded at the back exit of the compound. with our guns up and ready to go, the garage door came up and there stood one man with one gun. He looked scared, but Paul told him: "Drop your weapon! Drop your weapon and surrender."

Tara looked ready to shoot, but I was going to just do what Paul says to do and not shoot — even though, deep down, they all deserve to die for whatever role they had in the killing of Abraham and Glenn, and mine and Daryl's kidnapping.

Slowly, the man — who I recognized as being Alden from my time of being a Savior — slowly placed the gun on the ground and said, "Living sounds good to me." He stood back up and said to the others hiding behind him, "We're surrounded." They came out with guns, so Alden told him: "Don't be as dumb as they think we are. Put your guns down."

"It's okay," Tara suddenly said, heavily breathing. "We can do it the hard way. Because even if Maggie listens to you, Rick will listen to me." Paul glanced back at her as I clearly wasn't here before they argued. She stared back at him before turning back to Alden and the others.

The Saviors came forth, lightly placed their guns down on the ground, and stood up — using Alden as their temporary leader — and placed their hands up in surrender. Alden came down first, leading the others into our grasp. I couldn't believe that it was almost that simple.

They were all workers, for the most part, as I could see. Just to think if I was still one of them, when I never really was, at the same time. I knew Alden from before. He was very nice and wise for his somewhat young age.