Chapter 37 ➳ Mercy

At the Sanctuary now, Rick and I arrive from apart the caravan as they hold back. I lifted the sniper-rifle that I was given to by Rick and took aim, shooting down one of the lookouts on the roof of the Sanctuary while Rick got the other one. I shot the guy directly threw the head, just like Rick did.

He nodded towards me as I looked forward, slowly approaching the gates. The cars began to show up and people began to pile out of them. I got close and noticed Dwight standing there. He looked down and noticed me, too.

He stared and grinned, before dimming his eyes and nonchalantly walking back inside of the Sanctuary. I silently prayed that he wouldn't be one of the ones that get killed today. He is probably the one so-called 'Savior' that I want to survive this.

The caravan arrived at the front gate, parking in formation to create a wall with the metal sheets retrofitted onto each vehicle. I soon sped up to join behind Rick and in front of my brother, keeping my two closest family with me at all times.

Maggie was right behind us, actually coming up behind me and standing there. Rick waited on her until she gave the signal, lifting her hand up and, then, down. We all lifted our guns and shot up in the air. Once... Twice... Three times.

And, now, we just wait... Wait for Negan to come through those doors and try to talk his way out of this.

Then, suddenly, the front doors opened with a creek and Negan stepped out with his lieutenants. That would be Dwight, Simon, Regina, Gavin... And even Eugene, too, for that matter.

Of course, the devil was wearing a smile...

"Well, shit," Negan started off the talk with while Rick was glaring through an opening spot in the metal sheets from the cars. "I'm sorry. I was in a meeting."

Growling from the nearby chained-up Walkers continued in the distance, but my focus wasn't on them. It was on Negan.

"I see you got your little mudflaps with you. So, I'm not exactly feelin' a reason for us to try throwin' lead at each other. I care about my people," Negan continued without an interruption from Rick. I almost puked when Negan said that he actually cared about his people and, for that reason, it made me look back to Brie, who was more focused than ever before. "I don't want to just march them into the line of fire because I want to play 'My Dick is Bigger Than Yours.' It is. We both know it. But, I'm also comfortable enough to accept the fact if it wasn't. I'm certainly not gonna let my people die over that shit... like you're about to."

After a moment of silence and I turned to look directly at Maggie, she glared back at me with the same eyes and vision in our heads, Negan finally asked the burning question on his tongue: "So, Rick... What the hell can I do for you?"

Right after, Rick pointed above at each of them and announced: "Dwight. Your name's Simon. You're Gavin. And, you..."

"Regina," she called out for him to remember, but I could've told Rick that by myself.

"Rick, I'd feel remiss if—"

"No," Rick suddenly cut Negan off from speaking any further. "I know who you are. Listen, you five. The Saviors inside. All of you have a chance to survive here. To survive this. You all can live if you surrender. Can't guarantee it any time, but now. Right now."