Chapter 30 ➳ Confessions

The day was almost over. Almost.

I just one last thing to do before bed and that was to talk to Tara. Since Ezekiel allowed us to stay for the night, I was already prepared for the night as I had grabbed all of my stuff from the Hilltop before leaving. I just didn't expect to stay the night, but that's even better.

As my fresh socks touched the old wooden floor, I found the peek of light from Tara's cracked door as I made my way towards it. My damp hair was soaking through the back of my shirt as I just took my first shower that I've had in a while. It felt good with the heat. Thank God for King Ezekiel and the Kingdom as a whole.

I peeked inside and knocked slightly, seeing her before she seen me. Before she looked up at me, I seen that she was hanging off the side of her bed and looking at her hands. I do that from time to time. My reason for it is to see how much older and weaker that I've grown — and you can see it with your hands, sometimes.

When I knocked, she immediately looked up in question before she formed a pleased smile on her face after seeing that it was just me. "Hey."

"Hey," I said back and took a step in, revealing my left leg. "May I come in real quick?"

"Of course," she agreed and nodded, before readjusting her position on her bed to make enough room for me. Once I had sat down beside her, she asked: "It's been a long day for you, huh?"

I nodded and cracked a smile, trying to laugh it off. Yet, it was still so sad since I haven't had much rest and peace since escaping from the Sanctuary with Daryl, Jesus, and Brie. I've been on my feet and hiding from the inevitable.

"More than you'll ever know," I laughed and shook my head. "I couldn't sleep last night, but that's usual. I haven't really slept since Glenn and Abe died."

"I'm sorry," she whispered, to my surprise. She extended her arm, where her hand gripped ahold of mine, which was lying on my right knee.

"For what? You didn't do it to them. It was Negan," I reminded her, sighing afterwards.

She was looking down in doubt and disappointment, then shook her own head as well. "Because," she gulped, "you had to be there for it. I'm just sorry that you had to watch that happen to our two closest friends."

I slowly nodded, understanding what she meant, and sighed once again. I've been doing that a lot lately. "I wish that I could've saved them," I finally said and found myself straightening up. "Which reminds me, Tara... I need to tell you something."

She looked up in concern and innocent confusion. "What is it, Tess?"

I didn't know how to tell her what I needed to tell her. My intention for coming in here in the first place was to tell her what I didn't want to tell her. Yet, she needed to know.

I had to get this off of my chest, but I didn't want to make it her problem, though, either. I had to tell the truth: I was in love with Glenn Rhee. Maggie knew and that's why that she, too, has banished me from the Hilltop as well, along with Gregory. Even though I don't give two shits about him, I did still care about Maggie and her wishes.

Slowly looking up, I found myself staring in the concerned eyes of Tara's as I held my breath for a moment there. "Tara, it's about Glenn," I started to tell her and she held her breath, too. "I... I loved Glenn."