Chapter 40 ➳ Strays

We were still walling on the road, hoping to make it to the Hilltop one of these damn days. I was started to contemplate on hopping in the back of the truck with Tara and Eduardo, but they had already sped up and I was left back here to watch the Saviors.

We were passing by two abandoned cars in the road and another off in the grass. We were close to the Hilltop, but it was just taking forever to get there, though.

I could faintly hear Jared talking and, when I glanced over, it was to Morgan, of course. He just loved to annoy Morgan. I wanted to go over there and just make it easier on everyone, and just kill Jared right then and there. He killed Ben and he had killed a lot more people than that, too.

The other Saviors were doing fine by just walking, keeping their mouths shut, and minding their own business. But not Jared, though. Nope. Not him. He just had to keep picking at Morgan and, any minute now, Morgan was going to snap back.

Before I knew it, Morgan spun around and placed his rifle at Jared, holding him at gunpoint. Everyone stopped moving and watched on, as I was secretly hoping that Morgan would just do it already.

Then, suddenly, a woman called out: "Walkers on the hill!"

I spun around and placed my gun up, seeing that actual Walkers were tumbling down the nearby roadway embankment towards the convoy. "Let's not panic! Let's just—"

Then, before I could finish what I was trying to say, chaos erupted when gunfire began to go off. I didn't know what to do than to kill the Walkers that were tumbling down our way, so I did just that. I raised my black rifle and pointed out, shooting down two shirtless Walkers.

One Walker came close to Alden, who was trying his best to not panic while backing up with the rest of his line. So, I used the scope, focused and aimed, then shot it down before it could get to him. He realized this, looked at me after taking a sigh of relief out, and nodded at me in gratitude.

I noticed that a Walker was trying to get Morgan, so I yelled to him: "Move, Morgan! I'll shoot it! You gotta move!"

However, either Morgan couldn't hear me — due to the raging gunfire — or because he didn't care to, but I couldn't get an angle on the Walker, unless it would kill Morgan in the process, too. Plus, it wasn't helping much that they were jerking around and not staying in one place.

I heard screams and realized that one ugly ass Walker had got on one of the Saviors, devouring him in front of everyone. I was disgusted, but I couldn't focus on that when I was worried about Morgan and that dancing Walker that he was with.

"Morgan!" I exclaimed, reloading my gun and focusing in the scope of it. "Move, so that I can—"

To my surprise, Morgan finally shoved the Walker off and shot it in the eye, finally dead and gone. He began to shoot the incoming Walkers while I did, too, also now noticing that Eduardo had jumped out of the back of the truck and was helping us, too.

I kept shooting until my rifle became low again, so I fetched for my extra ammo in my backpack. Though, before I could get it out, somebody practically jumped on my back and, from the sounds that it was making, it was a Walker than a human. I began to panic, but tried to remain calm as I took ahold of its right arm and flung it over me onto the ground.

However, this Walker was thinking ahead of me because, when I tried to back up to make some distance between us, it had reached out and took ahold of my ankle, making me slam down to the ground and bust my ass. Then, he used the grip that he had around my ankle to pull himself up, where he was now on top of me and trying to bite me with all of his might.