sixty five.

phil.

"i want the cinnamon one!" dan crossed his arms. phil sighed and raised an eyebrow at him.

"are you seriously refusing to leave the aisle right now?"

dan nodded, grinning and shifting his stance to make it more firm. phil stared at him.

"you're ridiculous."

"call me as many names as you want, you won't oppress me into giving in to your cruel boundaries."

phil threw up his arms, scoffing. "it's a cinnamon scented candle, dan. it's not even fall."

"so?"

phil frowned at him. "uh, obviously cinnamon candles are for fall."

dan walked to him, placing his hands on phil's shoulders. phil watched him suspiciously. "i know you're scared of the candle, phil."

"i-"

"shh," dan whispered, shushing him. "it's okay. you don't have to hide it from me, i'll love you no matter what. we can get through this. together."

phil knew he was joking but something he had said made him freeze. "you love me?"

he watched the realization hit him and dan's eyes went wide, his face going red rather quickly. he let go of phil and turned, going back to the shelf and grabbing the candle before returning and pushing it into the bag.

"if i'm living with you, we're getting this candle," he mumbled, avoiding phil's eyes. phil couldn't stop smiling. it was hurting his cheeks.

"alright, but every time you light it i get a kiss."

dan turned, walking backwards so he could face him. "why?"

"consolation."

dan rolled his eyes, turning back around. phil beamed at his back.

it had been dan's idea to shop, since he was moving in and it felt like something they had to do. phil had agreed wholeheartedly. anything he did with dan felt like a fun activity, really.

dan stopped, grabbing at a black sweatshirt hanging from a rack between the food isles. he gave phil eyes and phil laughed.

"you want a sweatshirt from the grocery store?" he teased, but he was already reaching up to take it down.

"yeah." dan giggled. "i have to ease into the filthy rich life, phil. like a hot tub."

phil shook his head, hanging dan's sweatshirt off his arm to carry it. "you'd look better in gucci."

"oh, i don't doubt it." dan grinned at him. "i look good in everything."

"i know you're kidding, but you're right."

dan leaned in to kiss him quickly before rushing off ahead, dodging into the cereal isle. seriously, it was like shopping with a five year old.

phil looked down at the sweatshirt on his arm, and made a mental note to get him a better one later. it didn't have to be some expensive brand, but it was at least going to be lined with fur. his boyfriend was going to be comfortable every single second if phil had anything to do with it.

phil paused. was dan his boyfriend? phil hadn't actually asked since their big fight... oh my god, how had he forgotten something so important?

phil rushed toward the aisle he'd seen dan disappear into.

"dan, wait up!"

in his hurry he bumped into a woman clutching a shopping basket, but she quickly caught her balance. phil stopped and held out his hands.

"oh, i'm so sorry, ma'am..."

the woman met his eyes, and something instantly felt weird. she had brown eyes, deep brown eyes, ones that looked like they were warm once, but had lost the quality over the years. her hair was brown, too, despite having more than a few grey strands, and on the verge of being curly- on the wavy side.

something clicked.

phil smiled at her as best he could, but it still came out stiff. "have a nice evening, miss." then he continued down the aisle toward where dan was reaching for the top shelf.

he hoped it had clicked for her too.

he hoped she knew dan was happy. he hoped she knew who phil was to him.

and he hoped she was sorry.