sixty one.

phil.

phil's eyes shot up when his doorbell rang somewhat aggressively. he scowled at the smooth wood, annoyed. he didn't want to be bothered, he was busy sulking and convincing himself he wasn't at fault.

"sunny, i don't wanna talk right now," phil shouted to the door, running his fingertips along the fraying cloth on his couch. a month ago, he would've just tossed the whole couch out.

"it's not sunny."

phil straightened up. that was a female voice, and phil didn't know many females. and that definitely wasn't his mother at the door.

phil was kind of scared of kat, if he was honest. not that he thought she would beat him up, but she was intimidating, and back when it was relevant he had always thought he'd have to impress her to be with dan. he didn't like having to suck up to anyone.

"come in," he grumbled miserably, sliding down farther in his seat. "the door's open."

he heard the door creak open and shut, but he didn't look up until jean-adorned-legs crossed his field of vision. he tilted his head and gave her a look. she had her hands on her hips, her red sweater tugging down a bit to reveal pale collarbones, and her expression was weirdly unreadable. phil looked her over. she really was tall.

"what do you want? if you've come to yell at me, don't bother."

"how could you do this, phil?" she crouched next to the couch so she was at eye level with him, resting her elbows on her knees. then she laughed. "like, morals aside, dude, bad move."

phil glared at her. "it's not fair."

"believe me, i know."

phil's expression faltered, just for an instant. "you do?"

she nodded, her auburn hair shifting on her shoulders. "of course i do, i'm not stupid. one person is never responsible for a breakup, in some way at least, both people are. in most cases."

phil blinked, surprised. "wait... so you aren't pissed at me?"

kat shrugged. "not really. i'm a little frustrated with you."

suddenly phil really wanted to cry, but he kept his face stiff. "but i fucked everything up."

kat sighed and reached out, fingers brushing phil's wrist for a moment, and phil felt the dam coming undone at the seams. "i've been friends with dan for a really long time, i know most things about him. he's really sweet, but he has been hurt, understand that. he's always just waiting for the next obstacle to be thrown so he can bail. sometimes it's useful, but..." she trailed off. "he's a little defensive. and especially now, with earl..."

phil closed his eyes for a second. it hurt to even think about dan, in the best way. the truth was, phil missed him. he missed his caramel skin and his freckles, he missed his warm smile and the way his eyes lit up when he was happy. dan was warm, and here, alone, in his apartment, he felt colder than ever.

"why does any of this matter?" phil asked, and his voice cracked.

"because." kat grabbed his hand. "sunny says dan should've worked you through it, helped you realize it was wrong, but the truth is, dan needs that just as much as you do. he needs to be shown you don't want to hurt him, he needs to know you'd do anything to be with him." she raised her eyebrows. "would you do anything to be with him?"

phil didn't have to think about it but he still pretended he did. kat sighed.

"i judged you, phil. and i suck for that." she took his hand entirely, squeezing. "i think you're different from the other boys. i think you actually do love him, and that makes you different. i think you could really be right for him. so i'm sorry." she giggled. "see how easy it is to say that?"

she stood up, letting go of phil's hand. she smiled at him. "prove me right, okay? oh, and phil?"

phil nodded weakly, overcome. "yeah?"

"call sunny."

"sunny!" phil nearly shouted when he picked up. "jesus fucking christ, you took so long to pick up."

there was no response from the other end and phil's eyes widened.

"wait no, don't hang up!"

another second of silence. "what do you want?"

phil sighed. "i'm sorry, okay?"

"you're what?"

phil blushed. "i'm sorry...?"

sunny snorted. "i'm sorry, i thought i heard you say you're sorry, i must have a bad connection. say that again?"

phil groaned, pushing his fingers into his hair, but he couldn't fight back a smile. "you heard me correctly."

"i heard what correctly, exactly?"

phil huffed. "i'm sorry, sunny. i've been an absolutely idiot, and you've been nothing but an amazing friend, and i'm sorry i was such an ass to you. happy?"

phil could almost hear his grin. "almost."

phil blinked. "what? what else is there?"

"apologize to dan, dipshit, and fix things. don't let a stupid car ruin what you had going. this is your chance to be better, phil, emotionally and personality wise."

phil bit his inner cheek. "i..."

"you can do this, man. it'll suck for everyone if you can't."

phil closed his eyes again, and imagined him. and then he couldn't stop imagining him. soft brown eyes, the way his hips filled in as he gained weight. his flushed cheeks, and full lips, and a voice that felt like a blanket settling over you and weighing you down. safe.

"okay." phil exhaled slowly. "okay. tell kat not to let him leave the shelter. i'll be there in three hours. i have to do something first."

sunny let out a noise that sounded suspiciously like a squeak of excitement. "hell yeah."

then he hung up.