fifty.

phil.

dan really did look nice. really nice. phil hadn't remembered his brother owning that jacket, but he was glad he had. it fit dan nearly perfectly, and he smelled like expensive cologne, and it was making phil feel things.

dan sighed as they climbed back in phil's car, and phil looked at him. his eyes were closed. phil took his hand.

"are you okay?"

dan nodded weakly, opening his eyes again. "yeah. it's just a lot."

phil nodded, playing with his fingers gently. he paused. "you know, i know a really good hot dog stand..."

dan beamed at him, pulling his knees up to his chest. "thank fuck."

phil looked at him and imagined him as a rich kid like phil was. he imagined meeting him at the private school he had gone to. dan would play water polo, and look amazing with his shirt off, and play guitar for the girls on the big lawn. phil imagined sneaking kisses in the hall between classes, and going to parties with him in huge houses with expensive booze.

but he wouldn't like dan like that. he liked dan like this.

phil pulled out of the driveway, trying not to stare at him and crash.

the stand phil knew about was even closer than the restaurant was. he pulled up in front of it, and a few people on the sidewalk paused to stare at his car.

phil got out and rushed around to open dan's door. dan glared at him, but phil could tell it wasn't a real glare. dan got mean when he was scared, phil remembered. he helped him out and dan sighed and took his hand.

"they're looking," he muttered. phil smiled.

"well, yeah," he whispered back. "you're wearing a suit jacket to get hot dogs."

dan smacked him and phil winced, laughing softly. he stopped and grabbed dan's hands.

"hey," he mumbled. "we can just leave if you want. we can go to sunny's and get pizza. i won't mind."

dan searched his eyes and shook his head. "wanna spend time with you."

phil couldn't help the smile that bloomed on his features. "okay. good."

phil let dan stay at the car while he ordered, and he came back with two paper plates, handing one to dan. he set it down on the hood of phil's car and picked at it, but he still seemed like he was in a weird mood.

"what's wrong?" phil asked when he couldn't stand it anymore. dan shook his head.

"nothing's wrong."

phil rolled his eyes and moved to lean against the car next to him. "talk to me," he muttered. "pretend we're in the storage room or... or on the train tracks again."

dan looked up. his eyes were large and they seemed even deeper brown than usual. his mouth twitched.

"i... i just feel bad."

"why?" phil asked, taking his hands. they were cold and he slowly kissed each of his fingers without thinking about it. dan watched him.

"because i'm not... like you."

phil's heart ached and he looked up. "dan, i don't care about that."

"yes, you do," dan snapped, pulling his hands away. phil blinked, surprised. dan's voice broke. "don't lie to me."

phil paused for a second, thinking about how to answer him. "i used to."

dan looked at him, crossing his arms, and what he thought was evident. that people don't change that easily. phil's chest stung. he didn't have to say it. phil changed his wording.

"i used to think i had to care."

dan's mouth twitched again, expressionless. "why?"

phil shrugged. "because my parents do. because everyone around me did. because i was always expected to."

dan sighed. "i'm just... i'm not rich. i'm not used to wearing nice clothes or eating a lot of food or being around those types of people. i don't have the kind of education you do, and i don't even have one house."

phil chuckled despite himself. he tugged on dan's sleeve until he reluctantly took his hand. "i didn't think that stuff bothered you."

hurt flashed in dan's eyes. "of course it does," he whispered. "of course i'm embarrassed, all the time, and i'll never be the kind of person your parents want you to be with. i'm just a charity case."

guilt washed over him at those words, remembering what his father had said. but he didn't think it was a good time to bring that up. it never would be.

"they like you," phil mumbled. "and i don't care, anyways."

"why not?"

"because!" phil nearly cried, frustrated. he moved to stand in front of him. "because you make me happy, dan, because you make me think and laugh and you turn me on and you drive me crazy. i even like you for stupid, shallow reasons, like you're crazy hot, and your eyes are really pretty, and i really like the shape of your hips, and your lips are incredibly soft."

dan blushed, staring at him. phil threw up his hands, leaning closer.

"who honestly gives a fuck what my parents think? because i don't, not anymore. can you let me have that, dan? can you let me not give a fuck?"

to phil's surprise, dan's face slowly erupted into a grin, and he started laughing. phil's face flushed.

"what?"

dan giggled, beaming. "you're so dumb."

phil frowned. "i'm not trying to be dumb."

dan laughed louder. "i know, that's what's dumb about it."

before phil could say anything else, a bit offended, dan grabbed his shirt and pulled him close, kissing him on the mouth. phil's annoyance melted away and he grabbed his waist, kissing him back instantly. it was so weird what dan's kiss did to him every time, he felt almost addicted to the feeling.

after a minute dan pulled back to smirk at him.

"you like my hips, huh?" he asked, swaying them a bit teasingly. phil groaned and shook his head.

"you know what? fuck off."

dan giggled and touched phil's face, kissing him again, gently, his eyes warm and fond. he hummed softly.

"wish i could."