forty four.

phil.

"dan... it's starting to get dark." phil shifted nervously. after sunny had left dan had wanted to go on a walk, which was fine, especially since phil was trying to savor any time he got to spend near him, but they were in a less respectable part of town and the sun was starting to go down, painting the sidewalk in crimson light.

dan turned back from a few steps ahead of him. "i know. it's okay."

"we should go back."

dan rolled his eyes, but he was smiling lightheartedly. "you do remember that for the last few years of my life, i didn't have a nice apartment to go home to at night, don't you?"

phil blushed, crossing his arms over his chest, embarrassed. "yes. you keep reminding me."

dan giggled and walked back to him, taking his hand and kissing his cheek. "come on. i have to do something really quick, then we'll go back."

phil nodded reluctantly, his face burning. "fine..."

dan smiled and intertwined their fingers, pulling him along. the quickly deepening red and orange shades the sun was casting over them was sending shards of light flickering over dan's skin, his body wrapped in a blanket of gold. phil sighed.

he didn't know what they were doing, and frankly, he didn't really care. he liked being around him, he liked listening to him talk and looking at him and kissing him. he didn't really care what dan wanted to call it. not for now, at least.

dan pulled him into an alley and phil automatically stiffened again. he wasn't used to being places like this at all, let alone in the dark.

"is this where you wanted to go?" phil whispered when dan stopped, dan's fingers hooking in his sleeve.

"no," he muttered, his eyes searching phil's face. he pressed him gently against the wall on one side of the alley, and phil tried really hard not to think about all the germs that probably resided on the surface. dan just smiled at his uncomfortable expression. "you're just... really cute."

phil raised his eyebrows. "yeah?" he asked, breathless for more reasons than one. dan nodded, sliding his hands up phil's arms and then over to his chest.

"you're cute when you're scared."

phil laughed. "should i be worried?"

"definitely." dan leaned up, pressing a soft kiss to his jaw. phil could feel his smile and he exhaled slowly. dan hummed, nosing at his cheek affectionately.

"when d'you think i'm cute?" he asked, his voice soft and breathy and genuine, yet laced with a teasing undertone that made phil wonder if he was legitimately going crazy.

"always," phil breathed instantly, and he felt dan's smile widen.

"really?"

phil nodded, turning his face so their noses brushed. "you're always cute. it's annoying."

dan laughed, tugging at the collar of phil's shirt absentmindedly. "did you think that a week ago?"

"absolutely."

dan kissed him. phil wasn't even surprised this time, he just touched dan's lower back and pulled him closer, his fingertips tracing the arch in his spine. it was incredible, the feeling phil got when he kissed him. it was like everything else eroded away to nothing, the colors melting out of the world like crayon wax and re-inhabiting beneath dan's skin, so every time phil touched him he was met with a whole new spectrum of sensations.

finally dan pulled back, beaming at him. he kissed his neck quickly before spinning away, leaving phil dazed.

"come on," dan called to him, continuing down the alley. "i still have to do something."