fourteen.

phil

dan was clearly quite anxious. phil didn't need a degree in psychology to see that. he was nearly trembling in the car on the way to phil's place. phil sighed, unsure of how to make him calm down. he tapped his fingers on the steering wheel to fill the silence.

"are you okay?" he asked when he couldn't avoid it anymore. dan nodded stiffly.

"mhm. totally."

phil rolled his eyes, turning back to the road. "there's no need to be rude."

dan scoffed. "oh, fuck off."

dan got mean when he was scared. good to know.

"you'll be fine." phil bit his lip. "they love charity cases."

"i'm not a charity case," dan grumbled, and phil glanced at him.

"oh, really?"

dan shot him a glare and turned to the window, resting his forehead against the glass. "i hate you so much."

phil's parents lived at the very end of one of the rich neighborhoods, at the biggest house. phil pulled up to the gate and pressed a button on the intercom.

"we're here."

phil caught dan look up curiously out of the corner of his eye. he smirked.

"come on in," his father's voice said back, and the gate swung open.

"who needs that?" he heard dan mumble under his breath, and phil grinned.

"absolutely no one."

dan offered him a small grateful smile, the only bit of vulnerability phil had been able to get out of him. he was impressed.

phil pulled into the (long) driveway and parked the car carefully. dan was back to fidgeting nervously and phil looked him over.

"you're fine."

"thanks."

phil rolled his eyes at him. "no, i mean it. you'll be fine, you look fine." phil had let him wear his own clothes, but he had picked what- a black shirt (so less of the imperfections could be seen), his brown jacket, and his nicest pair of jeans which were admittedly not very nice. and dan had washed his hair. he looked nice, put together.

dan looked up at him, his arms crossed, his eyes searching for any kind of lie. he couldn't find anything. he blushed.

"thanks."

"no problem." phil opened his door and, when dan didn't get out, went around to open his for him. dan ignored the hand he offered to help him up, though.

even phil knew they had too many steps to the front door, and he had to wait for dan a few times on the walk up, but soon enough they were at his front door. phil pushed it open, chewing on his lip.

"mum? dad?"

a tall woman emerged from one of the rooms, smiling at them. her brown hair was tied on her head in a bun, and she was wearing a pencil skirt and a white blouse- as usual.

"hi, phil!" she clasped her hands together like she was praying and looked over at dan. "you must be dan...?"

dan nodded, wetting his lips. his hands were behind his back, and he looked like a five year old who had been caught doing something wrong. phil fought back a laugh.

"well, it's lovely to meet you. come on in, phil, your father is in his office. he'll be out in a moment."

phil gave dan a snide look and quirked an eyebrow at him. dan blushed and looked away, frowning at his feet.

"perfect."