thirty two.

phil.

phil got up before dan woke up and left the storage room. he was mortified he had told him that much the night before, and scared that dan had that part of him to use against him now, even though he knew he probably would never stoop that low. he wasn't used to sharing like that, especially something that personal, especially with dan. but he had also never really been asked, so it had taken him by surprise and he had cracked open, the contents of his brain that he had kept locked in the very back spilling out into dan's hands.

now his cheeks felt hot whenever he thought about what he had given him, and his breathing came shallow and nervous, and he didn't know how to deal with it. would dan treat him differently? phil didn't want his pity, no matter how okay they were with each other. jesus, having a homeless boy feel bad for him would be humiliating.

phil sat at his desk and pretended to be working, when though he couldn't focus in the slightest. dan's friends kept glancing at him but he couldn't reciprocate it. for once he was scared of seeing dan, terrified of what he would do.

after half an hour of phil convincing himself he was fine and not at all panicking, dan emerged from the back room. his hair was especially messy-curly from sleep, a few strands hanging loosely in his face, and he still looked half asleep. he smiled in phil's direction and went over to talk to his friends.

phil's hand was shaking. jesus, it was like when he let the stream of emotion start, he was having trouble keeping it back now. he was shaking and anxious and for once, he couldn't hide it in snide comments and a stony expression, because he had an eerie feeling that dan would see right through that, and that terrified him.

finally dan looked in his direction and made his way over. phil focused harder on his scribbling, though he wasn't sure what he was even writing anymore.

"are we having another meeting with sunny today?" dan asked.

"uh huh," phil mumbled, closing his eyes so he wasn't even tempted to look up. "we have to talk about technicalities, like a sound system and stuff."

phil heard dan sit across from him and when he opened his eyes dan was trying to lean under him to look at him. phil blushed and pretended to be incredibly focused on something across the room.

"are you alright?"

"yeah. i'm great." he tried to smile. dan raised his eyebrows.

"is this about last night?" he asked, his voice lowering to a whisper. phil felt his heart try to escape through his throat.

"dan... c-can you just forget what i told you? i shouldn't h-have... i shouldn't have told you all that, it was stupid."

dan's eyes traveled over his face slowly. "it wasn't stupid."

phil ran his fingers through his hair stressfully, tugging. "i just... please."

dan's gaze was piercing. phil tried to keep a relatively straight face, but he still felt like dan was reading his mind.

"if you think i pity you, you're dumber than i thought," dan informed him finally. phil met his eyes out of surprise.

"what...?"

dan smiled at him with half of his mouth. "you have a great life, phil, and you still act like a selfish jerk." he lowered his voice again. "what happened to you is horrible. and i care about that. i see that. but that doesn't make me pity you. you're the same person you were to me yesterday."

phil let out the breath he had been holding. his words were blunt, but surprisingly calming. he was scarily clever, phil didn't understand how he could read the situation that easily. maybe he could just read phil, which was even stranger, as phil had spent the last fifteen years of his life making sure no one could read him.

"thank you," he said softly.

dan nodded, smiling at him. he smirked. "would you like... some coffee?"

phil groaned and nodded.

"god, please."