sixty three.

phil.

phil watched dan kick at pebbles on the pavement as he walked, his head tilted down. he looked so adorable. phil couldn't stand the silence between them a second longer, but dan spoke before he could.

"even with the whole thing with earl. how could you still think it was okay to just drop it?"

phil sighed and dan looked up to watch his face as he answered.

"i don't know, dan."

"that's not good enough." dan tugged at his jacket to wrap it tighter around himself.

"i know."

"okay..." dan's brows furrowed. phil pursed his lips. he didn't want to lie to trick dan into being with him again, but he also didn't want to say the wrong thing.

"i just... didn't think. i didn't think about how much it meant to you. i'm used to doing things without thinking. it's a bad habit, i have a few of those."

"well it was awful." dan's expression softened for a second. "but i probably shouldn't have reacted how i did."

phil smiled at his feet. "it's okay. i deserved it."

"no, you didn't." dan reached out to touch a pole, brushing his fingertips over the metal. "you didn't know what you did. i mean, you aren't stupid, and i don't regret putting you in your place. but i shouldn't have been that harsh." he blushed, just slightly. "and i shouldn't have tried to leave forever."

a rush of warmth and relief washed over phil and he fought back a grin. "i shouldn't have let you. i should've apologized the second i realized i'd done something to hurt you."

dan stopped walking, so phil stopped too.

"so... we're both immature." he half-smiled. "what now?"

phil licked his lips. "do you miss me?"

the smile fell from dan's face and he nodded after a second, his mouth twitching.

"i miss you too..."

dan sighed and sat down on the sidewalk, his feet off the curb. phil hesitated before sitting next to him, careful not to touch him in case he didn't want it.

"it was so great. you were so sweet, and i've never been with a boy where my feelings just got stronger every single day. they always just plateau at the brink of obsessive, and then i get my heart broken. it's different with you. i miss that."

phil smiled in his direction, even though dan wasn't looking at him.

"i mean, i've never liked anyone like i like you, so... yeah. i miss it too."

dan exhaled slowly, and his breath clouded in the air in front of him. "phil?"

phil leaned back, his hands on the sidewalk behind him to hold him up. "yeah?"

"you know that night you asked if i'd been in love?" he turned to him. phil's stomach squirmed.

"yeah...?"

dan smiled weakly. "i definitely hadn't."

phil's heart nearly leapt right out of his chest with how quick it was beating. "um... have you... now?"

dan paused, but didn't stop smiling in that faint way, like he was tired, but happy. "i don't know. maybe. i just know that this is much stronger than anything i've felt before, so... i haven't been in love before." he gave him a look. "i think you should know i'm very stubborn. i would've walked right back into the streets and not looked back, no matter how badly it hurt me."