Chapter 23: Finifugal

Loki let go of Jennica, his heart sinking to the pit of his stomach. He took a step back, looking her in the eyes with remorse. Why must you break me this way?

"Once I tell you, you will not accept me..." the words slowly left his mouth, tearing from him, "although I am not that person anymore."

Jennica could feel the dream ending. Disappearing. "Just say it." She whispered. She had to know, before her heart fell in too deep.

"It will change everything, you will not see me in the same light–"

"Say it!"

This newfound safety began crumbling before his eyes, and tears threatened to pool as they burned in their stronghold.

"It began when Thor was banished from Asgard, and I learned that I was not an Asgardian." Loki said, his voice quavering. "It was a foolish predicament, really. We both made mistakes, we both did what we thought was right. But once I realized I was of the race that everyone despised, I spiraled out of control." He swallowed the growing lump in his throat, hoping she would pity him as he broke, little by little. "I had to take over the throne while my father was incapacitated. It was a duty I had to take, but I was not mentally prepared. I felt alone... and angry. The only supporter I had, my mother, would not leave my father's side. If Thor was still on Asgard, he would have been king. I was enraged as he showed all of the signs of an impulsive, proud leader, and–" his words were caught in his throat as the tears finally began to pool in his eyes, "I tried to kill Thor. I nearly did. Because I believed I was a monster, I let myself become one. The blinding rage and self-hatred took over. I... began to plot the murder of all Frost Giants. Thankfully, after fighting with Thor, I was stopped, but it only led to more chaos. What I had done dawned on me... the monster I had become... everything all at once. I tried to kill myself. But it didn't work."

What was once love glowing in Jennica's eyes turned into sadness, hurt, even betrayal. Her gaze met the floor as she severed most of her contact with Loki while he continued, pleading with his voice that she would still listen.

"I was found by a Titan called Thanos. He broke me and destroyed my spirit. I became an empty shell to be filled by his demons. He sent me to Earth with an army to win over the planet. I did not succeed. Even after realizing my wrongs once more, I still did not learn from my mistakes, becoming what I once hated most."

Jennica's eyes bore into his. "That was you?" Her voice was hoarse from trying not to cry herself. "I remember that story. A portal opened and there were creatures... the attack on New York was all you?!"

Loki could see a glimpse of hatred embedded within her brown eyes, and he nearly flinched at the sight.

"From the moment I was returned to Asgard until I met you, I had changed my actions to be a better man, but in no way had I become anything near what you have made me. I don't expect you to love me or even tolerate me knowing who I once was, but I hope you know the great things you have done."

"What I have done changes nothing!"

"Go ahead! Run! I knew you would want to! I knew it wouldn't last!" The wound stung and he could not keep his tears hidden any longer.

"You should have told me your story from the beginning. I can't think of loving you when I now find out that you're a murderer of innocents!"

"I never asked for this!"

Only then could she hear the sob in the back of his throat, and only then did she notice the tears streaming down her own cheeks.

Her back was to him in an instant. She looked out over the edge of the balcony, wanting him to leave, wanting this to be over.

"The festivals will last a week." His voice was now devoid of the emotion it had held moments before. "You will be liberated to return home after that."

She did not wipe her tears or let him see any signs of her crying. "Good. I will accompany you. After that... it is goodbye."

Nothing else was shared between them. She heard him leave the balcony and shut the door to her room, hard. Her body broke down into sobs immediately.

"Sh shhh... hush now, sister." A new pair of hands were on her shoulders, a presence appearing by her side. "There is no need to cry."

"I-I don't know what to do anymore!" She sobbed, diving into his arms and releasing the tears. "I just w-want to go h-home."

Oveaus began to comb her hair. "Yes... you must return to Earth. I cannot bear to see your heart in such a state."

"I can never be the same after this. Who knows what I'll be like when I return?"

"Go to your guardians there and wait for me. They will keep you safe, no doubt." He tilted back her head and smiled. "And I shall come for you."

"Y-You... you're coming to Earth?"

"I am. No longer shall we be separated. We will be a family."

"And you will be safe..."

"Of course. Did you ever doubt my luck? I am a strong man, Jennica."

"I know, just... naturally, I was worried."

He nodded, loosening his gentle grip on her and tenderly keeping the gaze. "So will you go?"

"Y-Yes... I will. Even after being crowned the princess and finding our parents, I still feel empty. I cannot explain why."

"It's Loki. He wants you for selfish reasons, he knows of your power. Your locket is warning you to get away."

Sniffling, she wiped the tears from her cheeks. No more cowardice, no more damsel in distress.

"I will leave at once."

***

A passing whisper
Unseen in silence
Easily forgotten by the breeze
And warmth of the sun
Until it sets
Leaves brown
Flowers gray
Memories and people forgotten and aged
The changing seasons
But still there is love

***

Jennica had forgotten the time that passed by on Earth from when she left, and even the events that wreaked terror on her family, if anything. Her fingers gripped her locket and she stumbled through the snow, shivering in the dark.

Police cars surrounded the house, officers near the door, inside. She could see them through the glass. What have I done?

This was the home she abandoned, and inside, she guaranteed herself to find a broken couple, hurting from the loss of their missing daughter. Would she be able to face them? How would she explain this?

Pulling open the door, she felt alone in carrying the weight on her shoulders. Oveaus' voice could not be heard and the locket felt cold against her chest. Many eyes met hers as she entered the heat of the front room.

"Mum... d-dad." She croaked through her broken voice, crying silently, ignoring the officers.

"Are you Jennica Adams?" An officer asked. There was an odd sternness to his voice.

"I-I am." She replied, faster than she could notice the metal cuffs he held in his hands.

Her world was on fire, and it was burning to the ground.

Loki and Jennica will return in "Life's Pursuit"