Chapter 7: Legends

"So, you wish to find the origin of Jennica, starting with the locket." Heimdal's statement was conveyed in thought, a deep thought that no one wished to interrupt. "I am not familiar with this, and my inability to see her prevents me from finding where it could be from." He paused. "I know of someone who could help you. She has not been seen or heard of in years, but it is worth the attempt."

"Who is she? Where will we go to find her?" Thor asked, aching for a clear direction on where to depart.

"The Great Fárbauti was last seen on the planet Vadella..." Heimdall glanced at Loki, whose eyes widened in fear at the mention of that planet. He was terrified, but he hid his worry behind an indifferent face before anyone else noticed. "...or so I've heard. The people there loved her and should be able to help you."

"Vadella? I'm familiar with that planet and their language. Isn't it quite small?"

Heimdall sighed, looking into the universe to see Vadella. "Very small, nearly insignificant. The people are poor and can barely look after themselves. Fárbauti was considered a hero in their eyes, and I believe she considered that planet her resting place. There is no formidable risk in going there."

"If that's our lead, then we must go." Thor replied slowly, looking for agreement from the others. Loki refused to give his share of opinion. It would only reveal unwanted attributes.

With a nod of understanding, Heimdall plunged his great sword into the bifrost, bringing it to life as the globe spun around them in a dizzying whir. The dread in Loki's chest kept him silent, but he didn't protest.

Jennica's eyes were wide but she held her anxiety beneath the awe of this strange place, colors dancing around them, energy pulling at their bodies to whisk them away. Was it a dream? Jennica could still not answer that question.

They landed in a white pond, the water tasting like diluted milk, and the overwhelming smell of mildew attacked their senses. As they climbed out, Loki looked up in anger at the orange sky that was colored by the light of a nearby star, knowing full well that Heimdall could have easily missed the water.

Their feet left a trace in the purple sand while the three of them made their way to a town near the horizon. The village was small, and a brick wall surrounded it, the sunburnt purple sand giving way to a dark, indigo dust that the small dirt and clay homes rested on. Gray skinned, noseless humanoid aliens, both male and female, walked around the small square. Their eyes were large and showed great need. Poverty did indeed rest in the place.

"Excuse me, kind sir?" Thor inquired as he grabbed the attention of one of the alien men. They looked greatly confused and almost frightened at the sight of newcomers on the planet.

"Šetsej kim? Îrax sej kim rākhnxt bativręt?" The alien babbled in his own language. Thor wracked his brain for knowledge on how to communicate with these people, working to remember the many languages he had been taught as a child.

Jennica was baffled by this creature. "What is he saying?"

"He is simply wondering who we are." Loki replied with a shrug, trying not to care about anything unimportant.

Thor attempted to communicate to the alien in the Vadellan language,
"Em sej elisnïox mga Asharda. Ej ovœ inas alecnod ahnü inas aram asaÿ dgal. Em zeżd kim vœsuh niįs diem bativręt." It meant, "We are the Princes of Asgard. She is a maiden from an unknown land. We hope you welcome us here."

"Asharda?!" The man gasped, surprised that beings of Asgard would find the time to come to their insignificant planet. Stepping forward, Loki slowly asked the villager to bring them to their master, called a Kujoyo.