Chapter 17: Ontogeny

Sol was thankful that the Norns had enough grace to miraculously assure her garden was untouched by Leomaris' flames. The little backyard of the forge was so generously gifted to her by Dellinger shortly after he had taken her in, knowing it could never compare to her castle garden, but it was hers all the same.

A small, wooden table rested under a peach blossom tree, surrounded in colorful flowers and potted plants. It was a botanic menagerie. Her soul was at rest out in the nature of Alfheim, with the sun setting over the world to cast an array of oranges on creation. She knew her people would be hunting for places to sleep, others mourning their lost loved ones. Her heart ached to help them, longed to bring those suffering elves into her arms, like a hen to her baby chicks, but Dellinger would not allow it. He intended to keep her safe.

Behind the shop, the little back door was pulled open, Jennica cautiously walking through as if she might not be allowed into the garden. An array of emotions flooded Sol's heart whenever she saw the girl, but joy and peace dominated them all.

"Dellinger said I would find you here." Jennica said, walking over a little ways but still waiting for permission.

Sol gave a kind smile. "I'm glad you're here. Will you come sit with me?"

There was an empty chair on the other side of the table, which Jennica gratefully occupied. As the breeze chilled the world, she could smell the plant life around them, the flowers and growing fruits. Light Elves were keen about their nature, by culture.

"How is Loki doing?" Sol began, knowing her daughter had words to say but she hoped to break the ice. She took a sip of nectar from a hand-carved wooden cup.

"Much better, I think." Jennica replied. "The healer is with him again. They told me he should be out of bed tomorrow."

"That is good to hear. Thor and Dellinger were gathering up the men of the village while helping out with repairs. An attack on Ulric is being planned in a few days' time."

Jennica's eyes widened. "They're going through with it?"

"After what happened this afternoon, it is clear that we must do something. If you and your friends had not been here, we would have all been destroyed."

"Not exactly... We are the reason the dragon came in the first place."

"But Ulric could still wipe us out." Sol set her cup on the table. "Alfva–" she paused. "Jennica... if it is not too much for me to ask, have you found yourself a comfortable life on Midgard?"

This was a surprising change in topic, and the reminder of Earth made her heart throb.

"Yes, I've had more than I could ever ask for." Jennica began, a wave of homesickness accompanying her thoughts. "Those who raised me are wonderful in every way... I do miss them."

"Would you go back? Would you rather a life as a human?"

"It's all I've ever known, and it seems so strange to leave now. But I can't abandon Alfheim until this crisis is averted. You told the story and... and I have never felt so angry at one person in all my life! And me, a princess?! I want to help these people, but I don't know a thing about them and I don't know where to begin–"

"It's a drastic change, darling." Sol's smile dimmed to a solemn expression. "You were never raised in the ways of the Light Elves, never knew royalty... but your heart knew your origin, and so did the locket. That's why you care enough to help us and won't leave until you do."

"Are you– er, us elves good at listening to our hearts? Because I must always be missing something if my heart and my locket knew the truth."

"The sad thing is, humans only listen to half of their hearts, and when the truth tries to come out, they ignore it or try to hide it away. You were raised in that and you couldn't help but follow."