Chapter 10: Traveling

Awakening by the light of the sunrise, Loki opened his eyes, dry from the tears that plagued his sleep. Walls were so painful when broken. He sat up, swallowing an unpleasant taste in his mouth before getting out of bed. Thor was still snoring loudly, much to his displeasure, and he jabbed him with his elbow, waking him up.

"Get up, we need to go." Loki snapped.

"You can't tell me what to do." Thor grumbled. He got up anyway.

The brothers dressed and packed to start their new day. Thor was talking endlessly, but Loki simply ignored him, head pounding from only a few meager hours of real sleep. This insomnia was becoming a real disease and the exhaustion would not help their travel to the new village. He was beginning to despise the trip.

When the sun had risen high enough to warm the lands, they left the inn, making their way to the outskirts of the kingdom beyond its walls. Thor insisted that they walk for awhile without a faster way of travel so no one would get suspicious. It wasn't very ideal, but the elves had made it clear that this village of outcasts was not one the king permitted people to visit. The less he knew of their ideas, the better.

Jennica endured the long travel by distracting herself with Alfheim's wonder. The sky was such a bright pink in the morning and the birds flew by, sharing delightful tunes. These animals were not afraid of people, and often they would be merging through various herds while trying to walk. It was strange to see the animals standing, sniffing them curiously and then refusing to run off in fear.

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

Jennica's smile was stolen from the voice in her head, shutting her ears from hearing a sudden argument stirring between the brothers.

"Oveaus..." she whispered, talking quiet enough that her companions would not hear her above their own voices.

"I thought I told you not to reveal yourself."

Jennica was slightly hurt by his condescending tone, sounding disappointed with her, but she stood her ground. "I don't mean to be rude, but my decisions are mine to make."

"This is not what our parents wanted, and this is not how to keep you safe!"

"How do you know what's right? I need to find the answers to protect myself and others."

"Do you, now? You stayed hidden all your life and now you want to travel across the universe to protect it from the Fractals?"

"It's the right thing to do."

There was a pause. A stirring.

"You sound just like Mother..." his voice trailed, leaving Jennica's mind in silence. It was such a wistful hint of a memory that she never had the pleasure of knowing.

"Do I?" She continued speaking, but in her head. "What was she like?"

More silence followed and Jennica almost heard him sigh. "She was an angel in every way. Always thinking about the benefit of others and letting her love become her identity."

"Do you know where she is now?" There was no answer and Jennica's heart clenched. "Oveaus, if you know where she is, I need to know."

"I told you, that would put you at risk. Stay far away, they have not found safety yet."

"There must be another way around this! If there is danger, then I will not cower from it."

"Those were the words I chose before I was cursed in this darkness!"

The words screamed in her head and she stopped walking, tears pooling in her eyes. Their connection was stronger than ever and she felt his deathly pain. How had she nearly forgotten?