Chapter 22: Elysian

It was a gateway to anxiety. A gateway to a path she could never turn back on, and the doors swung wide open. This was a different performance, one like no other. The eyes that were watching made Jennica's soul shrivel to the nearest corner of her being, wanting to be hidden away. It took the strength of the universe to move her legs, and an ocean of relief when she at last knelt to the floor.

When her childhood had been filled with play dresses, plastic tiaras and a toy castle, did she ever believe with every fiber of her being that a weighted crown of jewels, a symbol of ownership, a deed to a kingdom, would be placed upon her head, that the title of princess would be acclaimed to her? This twist of reality made her bravery hide. She was terrified, and she wondered if she was even succeeding at hiding the tremors in her body.

"By accepting this crown," Kvasir's voice rang, soaring over the heads in the castle's crowded sanctuary, "Jennica has sworn her loyalty to the throne of Alfheim. Long will she be praised... long will she love and serve her people. Rise, my daughter."

What had been said before did not reach her ears. Jennica could feel the crown on her head and knew the gift had been bestowed. This was it. Kvasir held her hands and pulled her graciously to her feet. She had accepted.

"Face your people." He stated the commandment low near her ear, so that no one but her could hear those words.

Her eyes were begging for serenity, for the assurance that she was succeeding, just before she at last turned. It was enough. Her back was straight, her head was high. Only Loki would be able to fight through her weakened fibers and read her terrified thoughts.

"My people!" Kvasir raised his voice again. This time, it sent a new wave of tremors. "I give you Princess Alfva of Alfheim. Long may she reign!"

Like thunder, the glorious cries rose up with gestures of praise. Jennica felt like she was drowning under the noise and her immense gown. The gold was enough to catch the eye, if not for its size. This was only a moment's thought, but it assumed the feel of eternity. The applause died away when she thought it never would.

Rustling, creaking... these sounds were heard as the rows of elves knelt to the wood. A silence as loud as the applause covered the room, swallowed it whole. No one dared to break it.

Were they kneeling for her? Yes, they were. A moment of silence... for her. How strange.

A woman rose to return the noise in the form of song. Beautiful melodies escaped her lips, with lyrics in elvish that Jennica could not yet interpret. In response to the first verse, many others joined in, singing. It filled the sanctuary. This was the song of her departure.

Two guards picked up the train of her dress and off they went, following an escort to another floor of the castle and into a brand new bedroom. Wait, no... that was it? It was over so quickly. The last thing she had felt of the moment was a hand brushing hers. She could only hope it was the tall prince standing beside her.

"What's going to happen now?" Jennica dared to ask. The guards had left the room, leaving a lowly servant girl behind.

"Alfheim will celebrate your coronation with feasting and dancing." The servant replied. She was young, evident to her tiny voice, and she had the tiniest point to her ears that stuck out through her curly, golden hair. "Don't worry, M'lady, you will join them as soon as we doll you up for the occasion."

Jennica frowned. "But I already have a nice dress."

"You can't wear your coronation dress to a feast. That wouldn't be proper!"

"Oh..." Jennica paused, rustling the dress and sitting on a nearby chair. Having to change for every occasion sounded exhausting, and wouldn't be if they were not made with over twenty layers. "I'm not quite brushed up on princess etiquette yet. Forgive me."