Chapter 9: Reverie

Alfheim was beautiful; a welcome change from the ice-cold and empty realm of Jötunheim. Everywhere they looked there were trees full of leaves or colorful flowers, lush with fragrance. The grass covered the ground in a perfect shade of green. Fluttering butterflies seemed to float under the bright sky, not a cloud in sight.

This realm was a realm of life, radiating its beauty through the crystal rivers and flourishing plants. Animals were in abundance, little bunny rabbits hopping through the tall grass and the strange birds whooping their calls as they flew by. It was a paradise, a small taste of heaven.

"If I remember correctly, the kingdom lies just beyond this ridge." Thor told his companions, leading them down the dirt path that was invaded by some of the greenery.

"Let us hope they're welcoming." Loki muttered. "Not that they could harm us, but we need answers."

Jennica could feel the peace here, the prosperity, the beauty. "These people are blessed with such a beautiful world. I'm sure they would be virtuous enough towards us if they can care for nature this well." Keeping her hopes high seemed to be working well thus far.

"You are naive, aren't you?" Loki made sure she heard, but was indignant to her silence afterward.

Their small group traveled down the path that wound through the meadow, and the ridge sloped steep enough that they relied on each other to maintain balance. Loki only accepted the help when he had stumbled a few times, undignified, and resorted in breaking Jennica's falls to redeem himself.

Her knees were scuffed and the skirt she wore was tearing where she had fallen, but Jennica wore a brave face as if scuffs were the least of her worries. The soothing heat of the sun was welcoming and this realm whispered a promise of hope to her heart. She felt oddly happy here in a world of fresh air and colors. The air was so oddly sweet compared to Earth's, warm and soothing with every breath. She could live a hundred years with this raw oxygen, and felt like a child again. Her smile must have seemed foolish for their serious predicament.

Seeing the kingdom of the Light Elves in the rays of the sun, they trudged ahead. The castle's jagged architecture seemed to reach Valhalla with its height, pointing to the sky. Stone walls around the kingdom blocked out all that was unwelcome, but after the group had permission to pass, they at once noticed the bustling life on the interior.

People flocked the streets wearing varying white and pastel colored simple clothes. They looked human, but the grace and poise that each elf possessed proved that they were different.

With flowers in their golden blonde braids or short brunette hair, children ran by, laughing with great joy. The older elves had a twinkle in their eye of that childhood fun, although they were much more composed. Jennica felt a burst of comfort and happiness. Everything seemed perfect, if perfection was a reality. Maybe it was, here in this world.

"Hold on, where do we even start?" Jennica asked, snapping out of her daze. Her fingers found their way up to her locket to fidget with it.

"Let's just begin with walking around and seeing who we can find." Thor replied. "A tradesman would be our best bet."

"Wouldn't they be after the shards?"

"Not unless we tell them. I would heed Fárbauti's words."

The three of them made their way further into the village, meandering through crowds of elvish folk. It took only a moment, but some of the pedestrians noticed Thor, growing excited at his presence.

"Thor, welcome back to Alfheim!" A young woman said with glee, tucking a strand of blonde hair behind her left ear.

"It is a great pleasure to be back." Thor responded with a smile, having visited with his father years ago.