Chapter 19: Refuge

The leftover healing potion was tucked inside the satchel, and the rest of her belongings were gathered together. Jennica was thankful she had not brought much. Now to stay alive and bring it back home...

War was declared in secret; this was the day. Even and his group had been gone for days, and until they returned with what army they salvaged, blood would not be shed. It was a night of vexation.

Picking up her smallswords, Jennica's eyes looked back at her through the reflection of the blades. The King and Queen, her father and mother, were in those eyes, beckoning her courage to overcome the crippling fear that was threatening to paralyze her. Do not be afraid. Alfheim was her kingdom. The battle would be for them. This was no time to be afraid.

Swallowing her doubts, she put the swords into their sheaths and fastened them around her waist. She wore the flexible and loose clothes to go under her armor, and it further reminded her of the danger she was facing. Don't be afraid... It seemed like a dream, separating her mind from the fear of war.

"Jennica, they're here!" Loki opened the fixed door to the forge, breaking her out of thought.

"What?" She replied, dumbly. Keep this up and you won't survive...

"Even has returned. Come!"

Running with him from the blacksmith shop to where Thor stood on the village path, they could see to the outskirts. Approaching ahead of them were the three elves, Even, Dellinger and Odelia, along with the small army. Four hundred recruits, to be exact.

"They've done it..." Jennica whispered under her breath, refusing to hide the smile that spread across her face. The crowd entered, exhausted from the walk.

Pushing past Jennica, Even continued walking until he faced the brothers. There was no joy in his expression.

"We found every last supporter of his highness, our rightful king." He began. "Every. Last. One. And what do we have now? Maybe seven percent of Ulric's army instead of the five percent we had a day ago. An attack would be suicide! All of this was a waste. A waste of emotions! A waste of hope! What a genius you are Loki, for your wonderful plan!"

"Calm down." Loki commanded. "This is no time to cower away."

"You have no right to tell me what to do! Why have you pushed us to attack? We have no hope of victory!"

"Even, please." Sol urged, approaching them.

A sharp sigh escaped Even's lips as he tried to withhold what patience he had left. He couldn't refuse the woman who had helped to make him into the man he had become, although he didn't let go of his anger.

"I promised that if this didn't solve our problems, we would ask for Asgard's assistance." Sol consoled. "That time has come, Thor."

All eyes looked to the one who had stayed solemn, the thunderer who had promised refuge. He turned his gaze towards Sol. "Is this what you really want?"

"What choice do we have, otherwise? You know what you promised and you know what I said. Go now."

Hearing the demand in her voice, Thor nodded, looking to the sky and calling Heimdall's name. Time and lives were of the essence. A flash of colors and energy took him away.

***

The shape of Asgard's golden palace appeared in Thor's view as the bifrost completed its swift teleportation. He gave not a single person a minute to ask what he was doing as he flung himself across the realm with his hammer. Flying was a blessing Mjolnir bestowed.