Chapter 15: Restrained

Two eyes peered from the tunnel before them. Hot, foul breath huffed and the growl sounded again. This large creature crawled closer... and closer.

Jennica's scream echoed through the dark room. She was frozen in place but pulled backwards before the creature could attempt anything.

"Would you stop that?" Loki whispered.

She pulled away. "S-Stop what?"

"Being so loud!"

A thick chain was locked around the beast's neck, holding it a foot away from the newcomers. It growled again and tried to pull itself towards them, without any luck.

As their eyes began to adjust even further, they could see that its scales were iridescent blue, changing from dark to sea glass as it moved.

"A dragon..." Thor muttered, awestruck from the sight.

He began to take a step forward before the end of the chain was freed from under a rock with a startling clang. The dragon stood on its feet. There was a hungry gleam in its eyes. His wings were spread an alarming distance.

Backing up with small steps, the group tried not to alarm the monster, but it followed their movement. The growling in its throat rose to a roar as it began to open its wide jaw. Bending its spine to get ready for a lunge, the dragon leapt towards them as far as the chain would let it go.

"Move!" Thor shouted before he and the other two jumped out of the way and bolted to the other side of the room. It was too dark to navigate, and they spent their time feeling along the walls for guidance.

The dragon growled again and shook violently in his chains, trying to let himself loose but to no avail. It roared again. Thor gripped Mjolnir like a lifeline, assuring from a distance that the dragon could not reach them.

"Be silent, lest the beast should hear you." A voice whispered. Everyone froze.

They could hear the dripping of water, the scrape of the dragon's claws on the floor, but no one else beyond their group.

"Show yourself!" Loki hissed, a bright green orb glowing in his right hand. His magic was finally returning.

Standing behind them was the man, who was ragged with a long, unkempt beard, gray hair and tattered robes. He was old, aged with starvation and lack of sunlight, yet he carried with him pride in each step he took.

"Come with me." He commanded them, giving no reason, just leading the way. As he walked, the sound of chains dragging along the floor revealed this man to be a one of the condemned prisoners.

He took them around a corner to a dead end in the room that was lit by a single torch. Close to a dozen other people sat there, huddled together for warmth and protection in the damp corner of the basement they received. Each one of them bore long chains around their neck, like leashes that were anchored into the stone walls. Their faces were grayed and sunken in.

"You will be safe from Leomaris here." The old man spoke to the three newcomers, his voice ragged and worn, yet it could still be heard.

"Who?" Thor asked, keeping a close watch on everyone around him. Loki did the same.

"Leomaris. The dragon." The man replied as he turned to face them. "And I am Kvasir. Who are you? What have you done to provoke Ulric into sending you down here with us?"

"I am Thor, prince of Asgard; this is my brother, Loki and our friend, Jennica. These two were imprisoned by Ulric, and I helped them escape their cell, but we were chased by guards. We are only hiding." He frowned. "Why does Ulric keep a dragon?"