Chapter 6: Bifrost

Thor kept Jennica in sight, having her stand with him in the throne room. The atmosphere darkened as Odin condemned Loki. It was a comforting relief for Jennica to be wearing her locket again, but the scene in front of her brought about a different pain.

Here stood a man she did not understand. He was a stranger, an annoyance to his family, or so it seemed. Someone always calling for attention in the form of trickery. His towering figure was intimidating, and the darkness over his eyes would turn anybody away, but Jennica could not lie to herself and say that she wasn't intrigued. Loki carried a sense of ambiguity on his shoulders, a code that no one could crack. Usually, a person with a frightening story would hide themselves away under what they wanted people to perceive, but Jennica was used to being the silent one when need be, observing people behind their walls of fake emotions. If these people were not such strangers, she would ask to know more.

"This foolishness has gone on far enough!" Odin bellowed, leaning forward on his throne and glaring down at Loki, hoping he would break the stone cold expression.

"I only took what was rightfully mine." Loki spat. The breaking in his voice was a crack in the dam. His walls were failing him. "You never let me have a chance to prove–"

"You were always an ungrateful child! If your mother had not made such a strong wish to keep you alive, you would be dead, as I have told you before. To respect her dying wishes, you will still remain alive in prison for the rest of your life, but you will be flogged for treason."

Loki blinked to clear his vision. He could not break, would not break in front of them.

Both Thor and Jennica exchanged a moment's glance. They seemed to be the only ones who saw Loki fighting the pain, but neither of them knew the entirety of it.

Lifting his hand, Odin shouted, "Take him away!" Guards came and began to bind Loki in chains.

"He's your brother..." Jennica murmured, being reminded of her own and the pain she felt in him.

These words churned within Thor and he knew it to be true. Despite being adopted, Loki was his brother, and he still loved him.
"Wait."

The guards froze in their tracks. Odin frowned.

"The Fractals are real and we must assure that they are all found and safely locked away." Thor spoke, loud enough for the entire room to hear. "It is clear that these Fractals were a gift to Jennica. If we can discover her origin, we can find how they were given to her and where to find the others. Please permit us to go... and let me take Loki along." The room froze.

"Thor," Odin replied, "taking Loki is not a risk you should be willing to take. There is no chance of him helping you to succeed."

"Please, Father." He glanced down at Loki and could sense the conflict. Those lies of taking the throne just by mere selfishness. He could now see that was not so by the shifting in Loki's gaze. "I need his help. His magic would prove useful in this task. In order to protect the Nine Realms, I must do this. I first thought that finding the Infinity Stones was the first step, but it is clear that I was wrong."

Silence was held and Thor continued to plead with his heart. The heart his mother gave. She loved Loki so he would, too.
It wasn't until Odin lifted his hand that rustling was heard and Loki's chains were undone.

"Do not make me regret this decision." Odin's voice was low. "Do what you want with him, but report back to me when you've collected the Fractals."

Thor nodded, encouraged. "I will."

Rubbing his wrists, Loki was afraid to look up at Thor, afraid to show his gratitude. He was dragging him along another adventure for the good of the universe, but the discovery of the Fractals as well. This will be such fun.