Chapter 5: Severed

"Take her to the outskirts where they'll send her away!"
"We cannot risk it, it's dangerous."
"But they'll kill her!"

"Be safe, little one."
"You carry a power stronger than you know."
"They will want it. They will try to take it."
"She must not know who she really is, or who she could be."
"Kill her!!"

Lungs begging for air, Jennica snapped awake, her vision adjusting from her previous state of unconsciousness. This was not the campus.

"Lay down, child, we're almost done." A voice commanded. A woman's voice.

Jennica looked over to see the woman playing with light, a seemingly type of X-Ray, floating above her body.

She told herself she was dreaming. This had to be a dream. But the hard, stone table she laid on felt very real and the fresh air that rushed through her nose with every breath and the distinct voices of people she had never met before.

"Lady Eir, what can you see?" Another voice boomed. It came from the tall, blonde man standing on the opposite side of the woman. There was a second man with them who remained silent and stiff.

"She is weak." The woman, Lady Eir, replied, "From exactly what, I cannot say. There is a strange energy inside of her that I have not seen before, and although it is dwindling, it is preventing me from telling her species through the Soul Forge."

"And you cannot tell what type of energy it is?" The man asked, coming closer.

"No, your Highness. It feels very similar to what had once been inside Jane Foster, but much stronger."

"Who are you people?" Jennica finally found the courage to ask, but speaking was much more of a struggle than she anticipated. Her throat felt very dry.

With a kind smile, the man explained, "I am Thor, son of Odin, the prince of Asgard, and that is where you are now. We found you unconscious on Midgard and brought you to the palace healers."

"M...Midgard?"

"Earth, of course."

"She is not human." Lady Eir interrupted. "That I can identify."
Jennica was glad to know that already.

"Tell me," Thor spoke again, "if you are not human, where are you from?"

"I..." Jennica cleared her dry throat. "I was raised on Earth. I've always known I wasn't human, but I've never known any other world."

"Were you taken?" The second man asked, but it sounded more of a statement than a question.

"I cannot say." Jennica replied, sitting up a little. "Who are you?"

"I am Loki."

"My brother." Thor added.

Jennica mouthed an "oh". Slumping back onto the table, she let Lady Eir finish her job, praying that these really were good people. Oveaus told her to never be found. If she had already been discovered, danger was imminent.

"Bring the girl some water." Lady Eir told a nearby healer, diminishing the light in the Soul Forge until it was gone. Her eyes met Jennica's. "You're a lucky one. From what these boys told me, the accident did not look good."

"I remember fire..." Jennica mumbled. "And pain. A lot of pain."

"Well I can assure you, despite your weakened state, you are perfectly fine. No charred skin, broken bones or ruptured organs."

"Thank you... I think." Jennica took the cup from the returning healer and drank heartily. The water was cool and crisp as it slipped down her throat. She had never tasted any so fresh.