Chapter 20: Warfare

The foolish feeling of supposed romance was short lived. Parting dampened the emotion that was once so fresh. Leaving the forge behind, Loki made his way down the cobblestone path, his black boots thumping on the pavement. The breeze rustled his hair as his eyes wandered across the silent village. It made him feel... empty.

In some odd way, he longed to have Jennica's fingers entwined with his, even after being separated from her, and even when trying to let his heart rest from such emotions. But then, despite her affections, was he even worthy of them? After all he did in the past, expecting a second chance seemed out of his reach.

So this is what you're hoping for... do you really want to change your path now? Permanently?

It erased the lingering smile that had been on his face. His gaze wavered to the ground. The feeling of, dare he think it, love for Jennica brought on a newfound joy that he did not believe he deserved. He took away so much joy from other people. Why did he deserve to have any?

I thought it was a temporary redemption. I thought you made a vow to never let your conscience win...

Why had she been brought to him? Was it to merely torture him with memories of what he had done? Anger came to life in his heart like a newly kindled flame. He stopped his walking and tried to dissipate the emotion. The betrayal. The lives he took, the family he ripped apart... everything he ever did. His mind would not let it go.

The rage now burned in his soul like a roaring fire. The rage towards nobody else but himself. Running away from the village, he made his way back to the cliff where he had been with Jennica just moments before.

"Why can't I just forget?!" Loki shouted across the gorge, hearing his voice echo over the nearby mountains. "Why can't I just forgive myself?"

The words slipped off of his tongue in a mere whisper as the tension in his body wrapped around his heart... squeezing. The conscience would win, the guilt would take over and he would succumb to these feelings of remorse.

He stood there in silence until a roar of thunder interrupted his depressing thoughts. Turning around to see a flash of light that was the bifrost, he watched as it brought Thor near the village, alone. The sight of his brother without an army made him feel sick to his stomach, and a grimace tugged at his lips. He looked away, not even bothering to care if Thor approached. It would be an annoyance. There was nothing that could be said to ease his spirit. He looked back to the mountains, observing their sharp, jagged landscapes.

"Brother," he heard Thor say suddenly behind him, after a few minutes had passed in silence, "I regret to say that... Father did not agree to our plans. I have not returned with the army."

Loki, upon hearing and knowing this, closed his eyes and breathed out a sigh of frustration. He expected such an outcome, and knew it before even hearing the words of confirmation, but even still, did Odin have to be so unreasonable? There would be no hope without Asgard's assistance.

"We might as well give up." Loki muttered, barely loud enough for his brother to hear.

Thor's brows creased. "That's not the words I expected to hear from you. I thought that getting back at Ulric was something you greatly looked forward to."

"It would only waste lives." Loki turned to face his brother, who clearly understood once he had spoken. "For once, allow me to make decisions that are usually yours. This isn't even our realm, but after everything I've done, having a chance to do what is right feels... well, it actually makes me feel something for once. I don't think I could see Jennica witness the fall of this resistance."

"Brother, you're giving up too easily. There is still hope. There is always hope!"

"Is there?" Loki questioned with the pain of disbelief as he took a few steps towards Thor. "With everything that's happening, and with the odds against us, how do we have hope?"