Chapter 16: Clandestine

Dellinger's gaze bore through Jennica, with no intent to intimidate, but his gruff voice said it all. "What led you to believe my story?"

They sat around a cramped table in the back of the shop, drinking from small cups of ale that Dellinger provided. It wasn't an ideal place to be discussing possible secrets, but it was everything they had. All ears were open.

Jennica replied, "Ulric showed his true colors when he made hateful attempts to kill me and take my locket." Her dry throat kept her from continuing, and she began to realize how fearful her heart was of this outcome, of telling the story and receiving the answers she long sought. For once, I am afraid of the truth...

"At first, we did not wish to believe you, but it is now evident that we should have proceeded with more caution." Loki added to Jennica's words, noticing her hesitance. Poor thing... "We have always believed that the people of Alfheim were a peaceful, selfless race. It appears that this description does not fit all elves, Ulric in particular."

Having not spoken a word after her statement when she first entered the room, the woman spoke, "Loki, Prince of Asgard, that description once fit our people, long ago. I am sorrowful that we must live in such times."

"And who are you, exactly?" Thor interrupted, visibly annoyed and unsure why this woman, besides being Kvasir's wife, had joined them. "I don't believe we've even had the pleasure of hearing your name."

Saddening at the thought of an introduction, and looking at all the eyes upon her, she finally said, "My name is Sol. I was, and still consider myself to be the queen of this realm, although my days of being adored and comfortable are long over." Her grey eyes drifted to her hands in her lap, remembering her glory days.

Loki's eyebrows raised as he looked from the queen to Jennica.
"And Kvasir was the king, then?"

"Yes, and, I apologize for not saying so sooner, thank you. I cannot tell you how long I've wondered whether he was alive... what is the matter?"

Tears had been pooling in Jennica's eyes, realizing what this meant, if it were true. Slowly pulling her locket from under her bodice and unclasping the back, she revealed the intricate necklace to the queen. She wanted to know, she had to know, but feared what her soul might feel, that this afflictive truth might wound her.

Sol took a sharp breath when her eyes found what Jennica was showing her. The blood seemed to leave her face and she trembled.

"Did this... was this yours?" Jennica stuttered, not believing that she could possibly be the daughter of royalty. She felt too little.

"This was my daughter's! My husband and I sent her to Midgard with this necklace when Ulric had overthrown us and planned to eliminate all royal blood... how did you find it?" Sol did not wish to jump to conclusions, but she could see herself in the girl. Jennica closed the locket with a fist.

"I... must be your daughter." It was painful to say these words. I knew it would hurt... She could not look into her mother's face. In a way, it felt as if she was betraying her earthly parents, those who raised her.

"Alfva, could it really be you?" Tears rolled down Sol's cheeks, the pain of a grieving mother revealing herself through those glossy eyes. She held out her hand and placed it on Jennica's clenched fist. "I am so sorry. I know I do not have the right to call you my daughter. However," she choked on her words, holding down a sob, "I am so glad that I finally got to see you again. And I know from looking at your radiant, young face that you were taken care of, which is all I could ever ask for."

The figures before Jennica grew obscured behind the river of tears. Her chest heaved and breathing became harder than ever.

I want to wake up from this dream... this horrible, horrible dream.