Chapter 11: Impressions

At least we have Thor...

Jennica continued to feed words of encouragement into her own mind as the castle doors swung open.

And Loki could use his magic...

The hallway was dim and lit by candlelight as they were taken to the throne room.

And me... we'll see what comes to mind first.

King Ulric was sitting confidently on his throne, a jeweled crown on his head and a piercing look in his blue eyes. He was tall, blonde and pale, seemingly young and pleasant to look at. This man did not appear dangerous, but looks were often deceiving. It may be best to have no prejudice...

Once Ulric had dismissed the guards, he at once stood up, a smile breaking through on his thin lips, obviously recognizing the armor designs of the two men.

"Why, princes of Asgard, how could you visit this realm without stopping by to say hello? I am glad to have you in my kingdom!" The king met with them as he pranced down the stone steps. "It has been quite a while since we've had the pleasure of your presence. May I ask why you have come here?"

"A matter that may involve you, actually." Thor began. "My brother and I have taken this young woman, Jennica, with us to find out the true potential and origin of this locket. During our search, it has been tracked to this realm, and it bears the symbol supposedly of the royal family of Alfheim."

Ulric's expression irked with surprise and curiosity. "You should have sent word. I would have gladly helped you!" Glancing over at the locket around Jennica's neck, as it did indeed bear the royal rune, his eyes seemed to sparkle. "Fascinating... I will be more than happy to assist you in this matter. If it is indeed a treasure of Alfheim, it is important that we discover what you seek to know."

"Thank you, your highness." Jennica curtsied, wondering if that was an acceptable custom.

Meeting and locking with her gaze, Ulric's lips pulled upward, his eyes glowing with pleasure. It must have worked. "Well, since it is getting late, there is no use in worrying about this matter now. Please, stay here in the castle for the remainder of your time. I assumed you would be tired from your traveling, so the maids have prepared rooms for each of you. Tomorrow, I will throw a feast to celebrate your arrival!"

Had Dellinger lied to us? Is this man on our side?

Cheerfully, Thor said, "You are too kind! Thank you for your assistance."

***

The guest rooms were alike in every way, with a large bed dressed in fluffy, white pillows and a golden embroidered blanket, a nightstand, and wardrobe. A stained glass window covered a greater part of the wall beside the beds, creating a glowing atmosphere. All had grown quiet. The emptiness of the rooms exposed emotions hidden deep in each one of them, and they let their hours of resting fill with these overcoming thoughts.

Jennica sat on the edge of the bed, mindlessly scrunching the blanket between her fingers and gazing at the colorful window. Its design resembled what was carved into her locket, making her stomach churn with the anxiety for answers.

"I know what you're thinking, and I don't like it." Oveaus spoke, sitting on the window sill and leaning forward.

With a gasp, Jennica stood up and was quick to envelop him, the magic allowing them to touch. "You're here!"

"Yes, for now..." he took a deep breath when her locket's magic began to sustain him. "But what are you doing? I thought I said–"

"And you know what I said." Jennica pulled back. "Listen, I am finally on the right path. I'm seeing signs and I have this feeling."