Chapter 21: Retribution

He was dead. Ulric was dead. They were free.

"You did it." Loki's breathless whisper came out in a rasp, blood streaming from his temple where a wound had been reopened. The other surrounding captives stood speechless behind him.

Numbness fell over Jennica like a blanket. She understood, but the feeling of victory was absent. She could only continue to look down through the window at the place Ulric had once stood. With the thought of his remains resting in the stomach of Leomaris, it made her grimace.

Thor stood beside the dragon, having arrived with him. The dry grass crunched beneath his boots as he approached where Ulric's crown lay. It had been won over, at last.

He picked it up to examine the ring of gold and jewels, an emblem of authority, resting in his broad hands. From where he stood, he saw Jennica's figure peering out through the window above him. Lifting up Mjolnir, he leapt to the window and entered.

There was a strange silence that overcame everyone. Loki could only share a sympathetic look with his brother. Thor, finding nothing to say, merely handed Jennica the crown. It was hers, it had to be. Ulric was conquered by her hand.

She nodded in thanks before passing it on to her father, who felt an immense joy along with the bitter taste of war's aftermath. It was his. She did not deserve it. She did not feel worthy.

Kvasir took the crown in his frail, old hands. "So much blood spilled. Just for a crown."
His voice shook as he spoke, the crown looking tarnished in his eyes. A single tear dripped and splattered on the cold metal.

"More than a crown was gained today." Thor said. "You are free. Your people have their rights back. With Ulric gone–"

"Are there any survivors?" Kvasir raised his voice to ask, disregarding anything else that was being said.

"Not many, only a small fraction. But Ulric's army is defeated."

"Bring them here to the kingdom, along with those remaining in the village. Let them know of the insured safety that rests within this kingdom once more."

Thor nodded, taking leave through the window. He departed into the sunlight.

Leomaris watched from outside as the thunderer left. He looked through the castle window and met his eyes with Kvasir's. Anger took place in the dragon's golden irises, as if to threaten. He did not want to be touched by anyone. He wanted freedom.

Spreading his wings and leaping into the air, feeling the wind carry him away, Leomaris fled, leaving behind all that he had ever known. He would not be a slave to anyone. Never again.

Jennica took a deep breath and exhaled, feeling the grip Loki had on her hand loosen as he reached up to turn her around.

"Are you alright?" He asked, letting his hands trail up to cup her face. Jennica nodded, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"Loki, you're bleeding." Concern swept over her, noticing the blood that trickled down his right temple and stuck dry in his hair. She reached up to see the severity of his wound, but he flinched away.

"No no, it's fine." He kissed her wrist to stop her hand from reaching any further to the wound. There were bruises where his lips had met and he tried to soothe what aches he could by the glow of his magic.

"Battles are messy..." Jennica sniffled through the surge of emotional pain she felt beginning to catch up. "Must all disputes end in bloodshed? I-I even inflicted such pain on my enemies... I barely stayed in control."

"Unfortunately, yes, wars bring about a pain that cannot be undone. But what you did was right." Loki gripped her shoulders and gave a gentle shake, hoping to ground her. "Your people are free, and you did it all with a righteousness I wouldn't even dream of having." He ended it all with a slight tug of his lips.